Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Snapchat streak pointlessness

Many+people+who+have+Snapchat+have+streaks+with+their+%E2%80%9Cbest+friends%2C%E2%80%9D+those+who+they+Snap+the+most.+
Many people who have Snapchat have streaks with their “best friends,” those who they Snap the most.

PHOTO BY CHLOE KNOX

PHOTO BY CHLOE KNOX

Chloe Knox, staff reporter

You wake up in the morning and immediately roll over in bed to grab your phone, scrolling through the endless notifications. How do I know this is what you do? Because you send me a Snapchat of the ceiling in your room with the word “streak.” Well good morning to you, too, Sunshine.

A Snapchat streak occurs when two people send Snapchats between each other daily. You can recognize this as a number and a fire emoji next to their name. Ideally, a streak with someone would come about because of a daily conversation, but that is not the case. Many teens are starting streaks with people they don’t even talk to on a daily basis, featuring things on their Snapchat stories such as “slide up for a streak,” meaning “I’m really desperate and am looking for some cyber-friends.”

I’m sure that even if you don’t have Snapchat, you are still aware of what a streak is. Maybe you’ve looked over the shoulder of your friend, or seen memes about it on other forms of social media. Streaks are a way for two people to stay in touch without actually doing any of the things needed to actually stay in touch, like have a decent conversation.

Having streaks with, like, everyone on your friend list, is a little bit excessive. I mean, unless the only people on your friend list are your mom and your best friend. Then have at it. You will never understand how thrilling it is to receive a Snapchat from the girl I stopped talking to in sixth grade, when all it is is a black screen with the all too familiar word “streak.” Oh, thank you so much, you made my day.

If you insist on sending streaks to the 500 people you haven’t seen for three years, I will not look at you and think “Oh, you’re so popular, I wish I was like you,” but instead “Okay, that’s sad, I’m sorry you have nothing better to do.” If the only way you communicate is by sending a sweet, daily message that says “streaks,” maybe it’s time to focus on actually meeting that person in real life, or on leaving them behind.

There is only one exception for having a streak with someone you’ve talked to just a few times, and that is if they live far away. Say you met a really cool dude last year at Disneyland and want to keep in touch; a streak is a great way to do so. But if it’s just the girl you sit across from in third period, get a life.

Snapchat streaks are a cool invention, if not abused. If sending your streaks in the morning takes longer than 30 seconds, then you have an issue. This summer take a break from the online world and focus more on yourself and your close friends. Let go of the boy you had a crush on in fifth grade, and the girl you went to a party with last year. Keep your streaks organized, and just with those who you truly care about.