Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Trump’s “fake news” causes controversy

Sasha Terry, Staff Reporter

President Donald Trump’s fake accusations against news and media websites has caused citizens to wonder if the news is giving deceptive information. Journalists are covering the truth in politics to inform the public of what decisions are being made in the government that will affect our daily lives.

Fake news is false information or propaganda published with the intent to mislead people and spread misinformation. President Trump has been misleading people by portraying fake news as reality. For example, Twitter can be misleading because it is not a credible news source and is based on people who post their opinions on a situation. Rather than using social media as a news source, search out credible and reliable news.

Conservative news sources such as Fox news and Breitbart tend to sugar coat by providing “fake news” on Trump’s presidency instead of informing the public with credible facts. Liberal news sources such as CNN and the New York Times give accurate information, including a little bias leaning to liberal views, while staying neutral on covering news.

A controversy that Breitbart has reported on is a conspiracy theory that past President Barrack Obama wire tapped President Trump during the election. Trump then tweeted about this propaganda on his Twitter account: @realDonaldTrump on March 5. “Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my “wires tapped” in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!”

President Trump did not have any evidence to back this claim. Many government officials involved in the Obama administration denied this claim, and President Obama never ordered a wiretap on any citizen’s phones in the United States according to them. This false news could be a distraction from the FBI investigation into the Russians hacking the presidential election and if the Trump administration—including President Trump—were involved.

President Trump’s tweets are annoying and have created a huge controversy in the government. Though many government figures have social network accounts, President Trump has used his Twitter in an immature way. He calls some news sources, “fake news” even though he is constantly tweeting non-credible facts and giving out false information to the public.

According to President Trump’s Twitter account, @realDonaldTrump, on Feb 18, President Trump tweeted this: “Don’t believe the main stream (fake news) media.The White House is running VERY WELL. I inherited a MESS and am in the process of fixing it.”

Any media that President Trump finds negative towards him, he calls “fake news.” President Trump has also convinced his supporters not to pay attention to the media and label the media as “fake news.”

Journalists should be offended and disgusted that President Trump has put down their articles. Journalists spend a significant amount of time searching for reliable facts about politics and spending time interviewing and asking questions at press conferences. Journalists are just doing their job, writing stories about their opinions in politics and covering all news that is important for the public to know.

The First Amendment of the United States Constitution gives freedom to the press to write their opinions in print without censorship by the government. President Trump can call news sources fake news all he wants, but he cannot take away journalists’ First Amendment rights to produce news material.

President Trump is taking the “fake news” definition out of context and he is lying to American citizens. The media reports on politics by explaining what is currently happening in the government. Journalists are using facts and quotes from government officials to inform the public, not just making it up to make Trump look bad, as he so desperately wants the American people to believe.