Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

LGBTQ community unites for PrideFest

New York’s festival of LGBTQ pride has grown to an extravaganza with over 50 floats parading down Fifth Avenue. Seattle’s downtown festival this year will most likely once again be a colossal affair.

PHOTO COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE, FAIRSANDFESTIVALS.NET

PJ Sills, Managing Editor

A flood of warmth and love went marching throughout Seattle, and all around the country for the 47th annual National Pride March last June. The events revolving around pride are only beginning, for June is observed as national LGBTQ Pride Month.

Saturday June 24 on Capitol Hill and June 25 at Seattle Center will be Seattle’s annual PrideFest, the largest free pride festival in all of the United States. Needless to say, the event is open to all ages, races, and genders, and is completely free to attend.

“I’ve gone every year since I was a little kid,” Makayla Tilton said. Tilton has two mothers, and a sister who is married to a woman, so she’s grown up to become “more accepting” and “open to the world” because of it. “The whole experience is simply amazing; everyone there loves you for exactly who you are, and want to celebrate life and be happy.”

The bleeding heart and spirit of the LGBTQ community has made significant advances in rights, recognition, and respect over the more recent years. A substantial piece to the puzzle has been the parade, for the acknowledgement of community and society it garnishes.

“It’s an important way to come together and support the community,” freshman Drew Bates said. “It’s good to know you have a community.”

Love and care is not necessarily what the month is about to Pride pioneers, but rather respect. Perhaps it is more important to “care less. You don’t have to accept [LGBTQ], but rather just let them be and respect it,” Bates added.

“[The parades are] a great way to celebrate our differences and express ourselves,” sophomore Meg Warnstadt said. “You can’t force anyone to respect and be open to others, you can only give them guidance and hope they’ll listen.”

Ultimately, human beings come in many shapes, colors, and sexual orientations.

People all over the U.S. will be celebrating through parades and a multitude of other events that will follow throughout the next few weeks.