Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

13 Reasons Why too unrealistic

Sierra Fox, Staff Reporter

Just about every teenager who has access to Netflix has seen the relatively new hit drama 13 Reasons Why. Each episode reveals another event that leads to main character Hannah Baker’s suicide. After every segment of this thrilling show, the watcher is left with suspense and a cliff hanger, making them feel obligated to pounce on the next episode as soon as possible.Just about every teenager who has access to Netflix has seen the relatively new hit drama 13 Reasons Why. Each episode reveals another event that leads to main character Hannah Baker’s suicide. After every segment of this thrilling show, the watcher is left with suspense and a cliff hanger, making them feel obligated to pounce on the next episode as soon as possible.

13 Reasons Why can be said to be a reminder that suicide is still an issue in our society, especially for teens. Bullying and sexual harrasment also take place in the show.

But are the events that occur in the drama very realistic? Take a moment and think: Would any of this actually happen in my high school? There are more unlikely events in the show than realistic ones. Of course television is going to be very dramatized to interest viewers, but on a level of reality and what could actually happen in real life, there are some flaws.

The whole show is about the tapes Hannah created right before she died. She created thirteen tapes for thirteen people, and each tape explained how a certain person made her feel forced to commit suicide. After her death, she made sure each person got to listen to the tapes.

However, this wouldn’t occur in reality. No one is going to take the time to record themselves explaining everything people have done to them on tapes, and come up with a whole plan so the contributors will be guaranteed to hear them. That’s plain ridiculous.

In addition, it’s messed up to tell people they’re the reason you killed yourself. People commit suicide because they feel hopeless and hurt. Hannah seems to have more anger in her than hurt to make the tapes, blaming people for her death. All together, making tapes about people who you say led you to your suicide makes it seem like you’re doing it for attention.

There are more specific parts in the show as well which are a little strange on the reality scale. For example, one of Hannah’s classes had a rule to give each other daily compliments written on paper to secure positivity. In one episode, one of the main characters, Zach acts out of anger towards Hannah for rejecting his kindness, stealing compliments out of her basket so she would think no one had any compliments to give her. Hannah listed that as one of the reasons she killed herself.

Is it me, or does that seem a little extreme? I mean, rude people do stuff like that all the time, but the fact she’d kill herself over that is over the top. I would be disappointed for a while and then go about my business, if that was done to me.

Overall, 13 Reasons Why is a captivating show with an interesting plot. Dramatization is a big part in making a show intriguing so it won’t literally bore you to death. The episodes contain aspects of unrealistic scenarios, but it’s still an entertaining show.