Stephen Hillenburg: Petition for Super Bowl tribute

Scene+from+Season+2+Episode+15+when+Spongebob+is+singing+Sweet+Victory+exceptionally+passionately%21+

Scene from Season 2 Episode 15 when Spongebob is singing Sweet Victory exceptionally passionately!

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Spongebob Squarepants, an iconic character leading an iconic show this kids, teens and even adults know about throughout the world. A show that began as simply a small doodle from a fortunately artistic Marine Biologist, Stephen Hillenburg. Tragedy hit the hearts of fans, though, on November 26, this very year.

Hillenburg was a man of creativity. He grew up in love with water and everything that dwells in its depth. Spongebob Squarepants was a show that held something new per episode, and would even sometimes feature popular guest stars. Each character was unique, and lots of the lines [and songs] have actually left some historic marks in media. The show even has had multiple video, computer and phone games released since it’s start back in 1999. Upon his passing, hundreds of art pieces, news articles and even some sad memes were posted all over the internet. Spongebob was Hillenburg’s legacy, and one that has been warmed the hearts of the majority who watched, and his death struck sadness all over.

With all of the tributes of his passing though, the largest one currently in the planning is the song “Sweet Victory” (a song that Spongebob sang in the episode ‘Band Geeks’, S2 E15) getting played during the halftime show for the 2019 Super Bowl. The episode that the song is getting pulled from was one of the series best, primarily just for how funny, yet strangely emotional the episode was, and how catchy the song choice was.

Not long after Hillenburg’s passing, a petition was created by the public for this exciting idea to occur. Currently, over 600,000 people have signed it, and the goal of this tribute being played on Sunday, February 3, 2019 (Super Bowl Sunday) is seemingly only getting closer and closer. After 12 strong seasons of Spongebob Squarepants, and with millions of people with his memory and legacy in their hearts and minds, Stephen Hillenburg is a man for the books—someone who only deserves something this huge as a tribute.

About the Writer
Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Hello! My name's Celeste Pearisaeff (pronounced peer-soff) and I am a student and sophomore at Auburn Riverside Senior High school. Some hobbies of mine...