Maddy Lindsey shows her heARt

SkillsUSA and Maddy Lindsey teamed up this holiday season to receive donations. Lindsey will deliver the 20+ bags on Christmas Eve to spread cheer. PHOTO BY LANI M.

Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

Everyday is like Christmas for Maddy Lindsey. That is, spreading cheer and kindness.

Lindsey, a freshman here at Riverside has made goody bags for children permanently ever since she was three, inspired by her mother’s and her own stories. Lindsey’s amazing acts of kindness got her recognized by Q-13, as they featured her as part of their Changemaker segment in August of this year.

Later in the school year, however, Q-13 returned to Lindsey’s story, showing up to the Winter Wishes assembly on December 14 to honor Lindsey and surprise her with Seahawks tickets.

“It was awesome,” Lindsey says, reflecting on the moment, “I usually don’t really get recognized, I do what I do for a completely different reason, not to get Seahawks tickets or whatever. I do what I do knowing that it makes others happy so to know that people are noticing that makes me really happy. It was amazing, ‘cause you’d never think, you know you’re a normal student, and all this great stuff happens.”

Lindsey even organized a fundraiser with SkillsUSA, asking students to donate coloring books and crayons, some of the typical items she usually places in her bags. The fundraiser ended on Tuesday, December 18, with $195 raised and 50 items donated.

When asked what she wished to achieve with the fundraiser, Lindsey had the school in mind.

“…I want more kids around Riverside or around anywhere no matter their age or whoever they are to do whatever they what and make a difference. I want to spread kindness and everyone to make others happy and I want everyone to be a little kinder.”

About the Writer
Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

Hi! My name is Alexus Jacobs, I'm a junior and this is my third year writing for InFlight. I cannot wait to start writing feature and Student Life articles...