Radium Girls: A production to remember!

An+intense+moment+in+the+play%2C+portraying+Grace+Fryer+at+the+doctor%27s+office%2C+with+Arthur+Roeder+standing+nearby+-+but+in+a+different+scene.+

Radium Girls: A production to remember!

An intense moment in the play, portraying Grace Fryer at the doctor's office, with Arthur Roeder standing nearby - but in a different scene.

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Radium Girls was an excellent play and anyone who missed it’s showing days, there is probably no audience member who will not pity you if they found out. PJ Sills (lead male, Arthur Roeder) and McKenna Webb (lead female, Grace Fryer) were two of the most powerful characters in the story, but don’t take that as the rest of our ARHS actors weren’t. The acting from everyone in the show was absolutely phenomenal. Every emotion that they portrayed, the audience felt. It was humor-smart, smooth with switching scenes and absolutely moving.

The Radium Girls play surrounds all of the different stories that were involved in the true story of the radium-disaster that occurred in the late 1920’s. In the play, the large company, U.S. Radium Co., released this glow-in-the-dark, radium-filled paint that they also thought could help to cure cancer. Though they didn’t think the radium was dangerous at all, the company never would’ve expected the girls to be licking their paintbrushes to straighten out the points – which is exactly what infected them, leading to their tragic deaths. The drama portrayed in this play is between the company and the last girl remaining girl, Grace Fryer, who got infected. This conflict is actually probably the most powerful part of the play.

Though this was great though, the best thing was probably all of the different perspectives that were portrayed, and how deeply thought through everything was to make all of these perspectives and scenes connect, building up like a puzzle. The makeup, the costumes and the music between scene change were also very cool. They actually added on a depth to the feeling of this “old-timey” production.

Radium Girls was so good that it didn’t only attract students in the audience, teachers and staff made up a little less than half the audience per night! One of which is ARHS’ one and only, Mr. Van Eaton. Van Eaton enjoyed the play a lot, explaining how he thought the best part of the play was that it was science related.

“It is tough to realize the science in the world and how it affects our lives,” Van Eaton said. “Most think of technology or medicine, but not all breakthroughs are beneficial at first. There are learning curves for the use of science”. Van Eaton also mentioned how his favorite characters were the two reporters, portrayed by Nick Rhodes-Huwe and Molly Loomans as he really liked having two “narrators”, both of which had a competition it seemed for good headline “stoic facts vs sensationalized” headlines.

All in all, Radium Girls really brought out the emotion and hearts of the whole audience. And lots of credit to Ms. Nuttman, the head director! This play was a cleverly made, smooth production that, as was mentioned, built up like a puzzle. Laced with foreshadowing, and filtered through an old-time theme – as it was the 1920’s. Great job to the whole cast, whether actors or behind-the-curtain workers, the play was spectacular because of you and your exceptional passion!

About the Writer
Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Hello! My name's Celeste Pearisaeff (pronounced peer-soff) and I am a student and sophomore at Auburn Riverside Senior High school. Some hobbies of mine...