Black Friday is overrated!

Fight occurring outside of stores on Black Friday 2017. Shoppers were fighting over groceries, and overpriced items.

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Black Friday fight

Black Friday, the traditional first day of Christmas shopping season, and the day when nearly all retailers reduce their prices so that shoppers can come in and waste their money due to temptation and innocent people are trampled or beaten up over Christmas gifts. It’s a fact that this day is incredibly dangerous for any or all participants. Stores like Walmart, Macy’s and Target are only a few of the most common battlegrounds when it comes to Christmas shopping on Black Friday. The day is just a waste of time and money altogether.

Per year, 111 people are injured while 10 die due to stampedes of people crowding around storefronts and then climbing over one another once doors open. If someone were to look up footage or pictures from a store, they would not be able to see the floor of the store. Something they would get to see quite often though? Shoppers arguing and/or getting into fist fights – with both other shoppers and even workers!

False advertising also plays a big part in how silly Black Friday really is. It’s an actual thing that the reason why many stores agree to participating in the day and reducing their prices is so that they can lure in shoppers to come and buy the products they really don’t care for. They advertise them in commercials to make them look all “shiny” and new and awesome, when really they’re easy to rip or break. This problem is only getting worse too as nowadays, more and more of the previous Black Friday shoppers are exploring online shopping. Nowadays, store owners and workers are going out of their way to get more customers in, like through ads and one-to-one conversations.

According to an article by USA Today, it should be known that many retailers intentionally maintain low inventories of the actual deals they’re offering to tempt customers into entering their store. Upon entering it becomes an even more common thing that people will buy something, even if it’s not the thing they wanted to buy, just to give themselves something to prove that they didn’t waste a trip out of the house for nothing.

Something else that companies do purposefully with their ads, is overshadow their previous prices with all of their “new and improved” ones. Shoppers don’t realize that many products that these large companies sell, have had plenty of moments throughout the year of prices way cheaper than those on Black Friday. By making their ads the funniest or the prettiest or the most catchy with phrases and such, stores like Walmart are easily able to conceal the thought or idea that shoppers can just buy their presents earlier in the year, for a way lower price.

Unfortunately, though it is more obvious in this day and age how much of a ripoff and safety hazard Black Friday is, there are still hundreds of people crowding around all of the different high brand stores in the early morning, waiting to get in and begin their insane Christmas shopping spree. Not often conscious or caring as to who they have to step on, climb over or claw at in order to get in and to their [higher-priced] items.

About the Writer
Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Hello! My name's Celeste Pearisaeff (pronounced peer-soff) and I am a student and sophomore at Auburn Riverside Senior High school. Some hobbies of mine...