Warning To Cat Owners!

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Throughout history, animals and pets have played one of the biggest parts when it comes to curses, legends and most of all: ghost stories. Black cats are the primary eye of all this spookiness. Due to this, the week surrounding Halloween is the scariest and most dangerous time of every year for felines.

Most of this awful treatment to these furry house pets is due to the love-hate relationship that Western culture has had with them throughout history. Though Ancient Egyptians were very respectful to all cats, our culture has maintained “various unpleasant superstitions” about them. They’re commonly associated with witchcraft; one of the beliefs being that witches could turn themselves into cats. For instance, way back when (in the 16 and 17 centuries), over thousands of cats and humans were put to death upon the accusation that they were witches.

Today, cats are the second most owned and adopted pet in the United States, so it’s pretty scary to imagine how many people use this holiday as an excuse to capture and viciously abuse them.

Now, there are people who argue that the danger for cats on Halloween is just a hyperbole – an exaggeration of reason to worry. The most common standpoint with this is that Halloween is no more dangerous out on the streets than every other day of the year, saying how there’s always is a high risk of your pet getting kidnapped or killed when you let them out. Though this view is true, it’s not completely correct. Depending on the street and/or neighborhood, there can be three times as many people on the sidewalks and streets than there are on the average day. Cats can get trampled, kicked, pushed and just treated like trash by rowdy trick or treaters, people under the influence, traffic or even just groups of party-goers who are still “high” from the excitement of their event.

Luckily, many animal shelters refuse to allow the adoption of black cats during the month of October. Over the years there have also been many articles and website pages released/published to explain different methods and teach steps to cat owners for the week of Halloween. After all, though Halloween is the most dangerous day for them, the whole week around it is just as dangerous and risky for them. So warning to any cat owners reading this, make sure you either keep your cat(s) inside or at least stay watchful and cautious with letting them out. 

About the Writer
Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Hello! My name's Celeste Pearisaeff (pronounced peer-soff) and I am a student and sophomore at Auburn Riverside Senior High school. Some hobbies of mine...