ASL Honors Society

According+to+the+World+Federation+of+the+Deaf%2C+70+million+people+use+sign+language+to+communicate.+Sign+language+varies+in+each+country+and+in+America%2C+Deaf+people+use+American+Sign+Language.+PHOTO+COURTESY+OF+ASLHS.COM+
According to the World Federation of the Deaf, 70 million people use sign language to communicate. Sign language varies in each country and in America, Deaf people use American Sign Language. PHOTO COURTESY OF ASLHS.COM

Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

Peyton Coleman-Treasurer (senior)

InFlight: Why did you join Honors Society?

P.C.: I joined ASL Honor Society because I am dedicated to learning about the Deaf community.

InFlight: Why did you campaign to be one of the club’s officers?

P.C.: I campaigned to be treasurer because everyone in the class told me to and I decided that it’d be best for me.

InFlight: How did it feel to be elected as an officer?

P.C.: I felt honored to be elected because I felt as I deserve it for all my hard work I’ve put into ASL for the past three years.

InFlight: What are some things you’d like to do in ASLHS?

P.C.: In ASL honor society I’d like to do some community service to help better the Deaf community or do some sort of act to bring awareness to the community.

InFlight: What do you find interesting about ASL as a language?

P.C.: I found ASL as a whole very interesting because other countries have different sign language so technologically it is not a world language. Also, the Deaf community finds ways to maneuver around the hearing community.

InFlight: What is something you’re excited for in ASLHS?

P.C.: I am so excited to be more involved in the Deaf community and be in a leadership position.

Abigale Parrott-Secretary (sophomore)

A.P.: I joined because I love ASL and the community and culture behind it. I wanted to be more involved in the ASL department at our school.

A.P.: I campaigned because I did want to be in ASLHS, but I wanted to be more involved in it other than just participating in the club, I wanted to be able to help and make decisions that helped the club and the members of it.

A.P.: I was very happy to find out that I was elected because I didn’t really think I would win because the person I was running against was a senior. When I did I was very happy to find out that I had been elected.

A.P.: I liked ASL because it was a visual language and I knew some people that were hard of hearing and Deaf. My sister also took the class and would show me some of the different things she would do, and I loved the language. I find it amazing that even though it isn’t a spoken language, it can convey more emotion than English or any spoken language could.

A.P.: I am very excited for some of the upcoming competitions that we have; to go and watch them, or maybe participate in them. I am also excited for some of the service things and other opportunities we will have to ‘hang out with’ or experience the Deaf culture

Brianna Crawford-Vice President (senior)

B.C.: I joined Honors Society due to the fact that I have such a passion for ASL and Mrs. Anderson had encouraged it since last year for us third-year students.

B.C.: I campaigned to be Vice President originally because people were telling me to run but after a few days, I realized that I wanted to make a difference with this club.

B.C.: It didn’t set in until a few days after but now it feels really awesome to be able to represent such an amazing group of people.

B.C.: I’d like to do some fundraisers to earn enough money to go somewhere cool maybe even Gallaudet University

B.C.: The most interesting thing about ASL as a language is the culture and how everyone in the community is so supportive especially of beginners.

B.C.: I’m excited about learning more about the group as a whole and creating lasting friendships.

About the Writer
Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

Hi! My name is Alexus Jacobs, I’m a junior and this is my third year writing for InFlight. I cannot wait to start writing feature and Student Life articles for the newspaper! Make it a great day and stay classy, Ravens!