School Announcements – Verbal Vs. Non-Verbal

Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

Most students school-wide depend on announcements to stay in the know about events going on and recent news that are happening within the student body. Though, many complain about not being able to receive the information needed at the beginning of the second period class. Most of this is due to the new AR Time schedule integrated this year in the middle of the day. Though, there are pros and cons to both types of announcements.

Verbal announcements at the beginning of second period prove to be only slightly ineffective due to people talking over the intercom and holding conversations, causing people to be uninformed which isn’t fair to the people who are actually trying to listen. This creates less attendance at events when people don’t know about them. Therefore, verbal announcements aren’t always the best in some classrooms.

On the other hand, non-verbal announcements could also be very ineffective since many students don’t care enough to check the ARHS web page regularly unless they have a larger reason tune. So, verbal announcements could be a little more effective in getting the news out to everyone. In general, announcements can be rather hard to follow.

To stay more informed, students should try and pay attention and not talk over the announcements or ignore them to be considerate of those who actually would like to listen to them especially when important things are being announced. For example, when homecoming was first announced, many people didn’t pay much attention and as a result, had to buy their tickets last minute. Many people have different opinions on this topic, and all are valid.