Schools should focus more on recycling

Symbol+for+recycling+%0AReuse+Reduce+Recycle+
Symbol for recycling 
Reuse Reduce Recycle

Symbol for recycling Reuse Reduce Recycle

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

There are plenty of reasons why schools should take charge and help the rest of their community by focusing more so on recycling. Majority of these reasons are based on the opinion that we just want our home state, city and streets to look good even up close. This isn’t to shame most Washington schools because we do a pretty great job at recycling and taking care of the area around our schools, what with how many clubs and community service opportunities that are open to students. But there is definitely a lot of room to get better.

Here at Auburn Riverside, a quick glance around should induce pride in the soul of any student going here, but if you take a closer look, say under the bleachers, in the grass, you’ll see plenty of room that we need to improve in. This isn’t just us though: Auburn High, West Auburn, Auburn Mountainview – you can’t walk around any of these schools without spotting some sort of litter on the ground.

Not only does recycling help our homes look good though, but it’s also good for the environment. Rubbish in landfills can release harmful chemicals and greenhouse gases, which leads to habitat destruction and global warming. Recycling helps to reduce the pollution caused by this waste. Green and soft fields of grass, thick forests filled with cute little squirrels and bunnies and our precious and absolutely gorgeous lakes and rivers will sustain their beauty, their color; just everything natural about them if there’s more participation and contribution from schools with recycling. 

It’s not even difficult for students and teachers to participate in recycling. There are clubs (Key Club and National Honors Society) and community service opportunities where you get your credits just by reusing or recycling (FCCLA). It’s 2018, students [and teachers]! We need to step up our game and make sure that our beautiful school scenery isn’t rotted and/or destroyed by the time you graduate!