Rising Anxiety Levels in Students

An example of many students while trying to do their five hours of homework.

Maddy Taylor, staff reporter

Anxiety in high school and college students has risen over the past thirty years. School has been creating more and more stress in students with increasing pressure to be the perfect 4.0 student. On top of that, colleges have been increasing tuition prices which may add to the stress of high school aged students.

In the newspaper Psychology Today, Dr. Susan Heitler says, “Over the past seven years, anxiety has become the #1 reason college students seek counseling.”

Anxiety has been steadily rising for the past three decades and more students are trying to seek help, but Dr. Heitler also said that prevention almost always beats treatment, which may be hard for some students. Finding good coping methods for anxiety may be a struggle for many people because what may work for some may not work for others. Another issue is that some students may not know how to cope with their anxiety because of how much they are stressing over.

There are many different types of things that can cause anxiety in high school students. Presenting a project in front of the class or taking a test can trigger different levels of stress in many students. Many teachers don’t realize how stressful it for students and don’t always offer alternatives for students that struggle with things such as presenting or doing group projects.

“Anxiety disorders affect 25.1% of children between 13 and 18 years old,” according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Anxiety effects 40 million adults every year as well.

With this many people being affected by this mental disorder, many would expect schools to have more available alternatives for projects and presenting in front of others. School is one of the main stressors for students because of the amount of pressure it causes for some.