The Trump Administration Proposes Even More Transgender Erasure Possibilities

Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

On Sunday, October 21, the Trump Administration announced that they would once again oppress now not only the transgender community, but many other individuals part of the LGBTQ+ community. The proposal, if approved, under the law would erase and deny the existence of transgender individuals. More information given from The New York Times also described that the plan was to define sex by either male of female, given by what’s in your pants, and is unchangeable. They would also reserve the right to do genetic testing to determine chromosomes if any confusion.

Though the majority of the LGBTQ+ community is against this proposal, if not all, a lot of others are in full approval of this possible decision. A lot of religious people expressed their opinions and beliefs on this topic, telling about how they believe that this is the way it should be, male and female, according to their religion. Though, not all religious people have the same opinions and many disagree with the new proposal by the Trump administration.

Over 1.4 million Americans alone identify with a gender other than the one they were assigned at birth. If this new proposal is confirmed, the darker reality is not only will there be protests, marches, and walkouts, but there will be people ending their lives due to not being able to be who they are. Even though some introduce the positive sides of this debate, the negatives far outweigh them.

This situation affects the LGBTQ+ community across america, but more specifically, students at this school will also be targeted. Alex Eller, a senior who identifies as transgender, expressed his thoughts on this situation. “I personally feel like it’s saying that I don’t exist and I am now even more outcasted than I already make myself feel because I’m not my birth gender,” said Eller. “It would definitely affect me and transitioning in the future.”

Even though this topic is very controversial, many people aren’t afraid to stand up for what they believe in. Courage can take someone farther than they could ever imagine if they put their mind to it, striving for change and positive outcomes. If this gender proposal becomes law, many will need to prepare for the backlash surrounding it.

About the Writer
Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

I’m currently a freshman at Auburn Riverside High School and am absolutely ecstatic to be writing on the InFlight newspaper staff! I mostly enjoys writing Arts & Entertainment articles and other interesting things that involve the LGBTQ+ community. I also love Vine references, dogs, memes, music, theatre, and many other lovely things like that. Last year was my first year on a newspaper staff, making this my second year! I was formerly the Editor In Chief for the first semester of The Canine Chronicle at Mt. Baker Middle School.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Trump Administration Proposes Even More Transgender Erasure Possibilities”

1. Carl Warf on November 1st, 2018 2:59 pm

It is true on what Alex said because I’ve been Transgender for a good solid 2 months. It is not fair to take away our LGBTQ+ rights because we has a humanity were made the same over a billion years ago. Everyone deserves to have rights exept guns. The whole point of the LGBTQ+ community is to date anyone they want.

• The Trump Administration Proposes Even More Transgender Erasure Possibilities

Opinion

Black Friday is overrated!

Opinion

School Announcements – Verbal Vs. Non-Verbal

Opinion

Schools should focus more on recycling

Opinion

Warning To Cat Owners!

Opinion

Excessive college emails

Opinion

Attendance system has proved faulty

• Opinion

Is The Great ShakeOut Drill Really Necessary?

• Opinion

AR Time Stresses Students

Feature

Bathroom Vandalism At ARHS

Student Life

Levi Devries, water polo star