Homecoming Royalty Changes

Seniors+Novilee+Schwope+%28left%29+and+Kay+Enlow+%28right%29+embrace+their+moment+being+crowned+for+the+senior+court.+

Homecoming Royalty Changes

Seniors Novilee Schwope (left) and Kay Enlow (right) embrace their moment being crowned for the senior court.

ZaReah Barren, Editor-in-Chief

This year has introduced new names for the formerly known prince and princesses, or kings and queens, of Homecoming. The new changes have come from ASB, which stands for associated student body, and they have made these changes on the voting forms as well.

For class royalty, the people have always been nominated for prince and princess. Now, class nominations are for courts. So, there would be a freshman court, sophomore court and so on. The nominations used to be for one male and one female, but that has been changed to nominating any gender. Now, all the classes can nominate two people in their own class to be in the homecoming court, regardless of gender.

There used to be restrictions on who could vote for what was formerly known as king and queen. Now, the whole school can vote for the newly named “Raven Royalty”, which used to be king and queen. This will consist of two seniors regardless of gender as the school’s royals.

“I think [Raven Royalty] is a little weird because it’s always been prince and princess”, freshman Kristeen Copeland said. “But if that’s what we have to do to make everyone feel supported [then I think it’s fine]”.

The people who were voted into royalty will be announced at the Homecoming assembly on Friday, October 18. Then, they will be announced again at the halftime show at the football the same evening. Then, they will dance to a song at the Homecoming dance on Saturday, October 19.