Senior Reflection – PJ Sills

Senior Reflection – PJ Sills

PJ Sills, Managing Editor

Auburn Riverside’s been pretty cool. I’ve made some friendships that will last a lifetime, created memories I’ll be proud to tell my kids, and grown as a person immensely. I am in no way perfect, and my high school experience hasn’t been either, but that’s okay. I regret nothing of what I’ve experienced since transferring here in sophomore year, because it’s shaped me to be who I am today.

Choir was my safe haven from the beginning; singing and emoting through music has always been a wonderful break to my day and opportunity to express myself. Mr. Jon Stenson has been a great inspiration to me, as a person, as a teacher, as a musician, as a father. Overall, he’s made my entire high school experience much more worthwhile by allowing me to grow in several aspects of my life.

Theater and Ms. Katy Nuttman were also a wonderful home to me, even if only for a short while.

My start to Riverside was rough, filled with drama, plenty of it my own fault. I’m not proud of who I’ve always been, but I’m certainly proud of who I am now. It would be impossible to thank everyone at this school who’s made a serious positive impact on me, this school is full of some loving, caring individuals.

Sure, high school has got its struggles and Riverside is no different, but I can’t complain too much.

Newspaper has been a lot of fun, too. Four years in newspaper, (three of which at Riverside) and four different advisers has been both a blessing and a challenge, adapting to new expectations and working with lots of new people. My passion for writing, editing, and working with others has been ultimately fulfilled through three very different advisers’ mindsets, but all equally motivating for different reasons. Overall, newspaper was a great experience due to one of my best friends, Alexus Jacobs. She has always been there to listen, support, and love me. I love Alexus Jacobs.

If I had to thank another individual person, it would be another one of my best best friends, Riley McCarthy. We’ve been through everything together. Our relationship began a bit strained but now we’re two peas in a pod and love each other to bits. Singing with her, acting with her, and sitting by her in civics and psychology were some of my favorite moments of high school. I love Riley McCarthy. 

And overall, I love Auburn Riverside.