Class of 2019: The trends they have seen

Fidget spinners are but one example of the great many trends that have passed through our own school in the four years Class of 2019 has been attending high school.

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

There are two definitions for “trend” in the dictionary: “A general direction in which something is developing or changing” and “a fashion.” Both of these definitions could help to give one a clearer idea of what trends are recognized as, especially in our society. In a matter of four years, many and many fashion and media trends have passed even through our own school’s hallways—marking history and their hearts. There are many trends that have passed through our country that should never have (for example, the mullet), but lately, there have been many repeats on the trends people have seen. Majority of the repeats seen in this day in age, according to a few seniors interviewed, are denim jackets, plaid pants, scrunchies and high waist pants. It’s not just the 80’s though, a lot of people have been wearing black and white Converse, checkered Vans and chokers.

According to Talia Samuelson, a senior in Class of 2019, she has seen many game and challenge-type trends. She said that some that occurred in her four years was the fidget spinners, dabbing, the manikin challenge, flossing and the water bottle flip. It’s an obvious thing that a lot of these trends are still happening a lot this year, despite their age, but that just makes it more obvious how popular they were.

One trend that was brought up a lot last year (2017) and even had its own spirit day this year were Vines. Despite the “death” of the app back in 2016, many people still continue to quote and make replica videos of these old uploads. There are also still plenty of memes based on specific Vines that you can find anywhere.

Trends are a part of any countries and community’s culture. It plays in our humor and jokes, our clothing styles and even can be a trait of your personality (if you like creating your own trends, or quoting, or dressing in them) It’s insane how many [simply] fashion trends have passed in just this last year. How many have come back in the last few years is especially crazy. Class of 2019 has probably seen almost hundreds in our own very hallways since their freshman year, and they’ll be leaving to find some more out in the real world.