Impactful ASL teacher, Cindy Anderson, leaving ARHS

For+the+majority+of+Anderson%27s+time+at+Riverside%2C+she+has+taught+ASL+in+room+608%2C+but+had+moved+to+room+802+just+this+year.+%22%5BI+wish+I+could+bring%5D+every+single+one+of+my+students%21%22+Anderson+says+of+something+that+she+would+take+with+her+from+ARHS.++

For the majority of Anderson's time at Riverside, she has taught ASL in room 608, but had moved to room 802 just this year.

For the majority of Anderson's time at Riverside, she has taught ASL in room 608, but had moved to room 802 just this year. "[I wish I could bring] every single one of my students!" Anderson says of something that she would take with her from ARHS.

Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

Much to those involved in the ASL program’s dismay, the impactful American Sign Language instructor, Cindy Anderson will be leaving Riverside after this school year. She will move to West Pasco to be closer to her daughter and family and will teach full-time at Kennewick High School.

Sadly, that also means that there is no longer an option for current second-year students to take ASL again next year.

“I am sad about that because I know some of my second-year students were really counting on that and looking forward to continuing their learning of ASL. That part makes me very sad for my students,” Anderson said.

“Working at Riverside has had a huge impact on my life. I have met the most amazing people, both staff and students, who I want to keep in touch with forever. I love teaching, I love the community we have here at Auburn Riverside and I am beyond sad to leave it because it has been my safety net, my home away from home,” Anderson said. “I would hope that my students wouldn’t get too upset about it and will accept that that is the way it is sometimes. Things change, sometimes not everything will be offered. I would hope that those students not able to go on to third-year next year will still be here at Riverside for another year beyond that so they can possibly have the opportunity to take third-year as I believe it will be open again once the program is built up a little bit more with the new instructor. I believe third-year will return.”

As for the impact she has made on the people she’s worked with,

“I would hope that my impact has been positive. I think overall, my students know that I care about them and staff knows that I care about them-truly care about them-and their lives, their struggles, their successes, happiness, and growth. Hopefully, it’s been nothing but positive. I’m sure I’ve haven’t made everyone happy all the time so it can’t be 100 percent positive. But overall I hope that’s the thing that students and staff remember about me; that I really do care.”