Potential school threat roams through social media

Social media has became a place that is responsible for rapid news and message delivery, as shown by this school threat situation.

Jack Morrell, Staff Reporter

On the evening hours of May 19, several students came face to face with a potential threat to cause harm in the Puget Sound area.  A young individual had posted an image that included weapons and malicious tools that feared many.

The root of the post was not identifiable. Many students made it their utmost effort to alert others of this dangerous situation. The authorities were contacted and were aware of this.

As the ideas of school’s being a prime target for violence rose through the decades, almost all schools have emergency systems to keep all students and staff protected.

Principal Dave Halford responded to this issue by sending a school-wide email. To show his serious dedication to the protection of Auburn Riverside, he immediately contacted security, police, and the district building.

It was later determined that Auburn Riverside was not a target for such actions, but was aimed at secondary school farther North.

The police took the appropriate action and through their investigation found the school, student, and visited the home [of the individual], Mr. Halford’s email confirmed.

“I want to thank those of you who have expressed concern about this issue. It is when community members such as yourself and the school work together that we create an amazing and safe environment for our students.”

Nobody was harmed through this social threat and everyone in the area organized their priorities for the safety of the community.