Our school dress code

Annjanettea Doyle, Staff reporter

With the warming, temperatures students are starting to wear more summer-like clothing in this late spring we are having and with temperatures being so wack. With cold and hot weather being so crazy students aren’t paying attention to our dress code standards. So to make these issues less apparently. Here is the dress code, please be courtesy of people’s views and the clothing your wearing.

Dress Code:

THE WHY:  The purpose of a Dress Code is to establish and preserve a beneficial learning environment and assure the safety and well-being of all students.  Student and parent choice in matters of the dress is important. School dress choices should be appropriate for a productive school and work environment and not create a disruption to the classroom or schoolhouse.  School dress should not create health or safety hazards, be damaging to school property nor cause interference/disruption to the school environment.

The Mindset: Choose clothing that supports the educational/work environment, is respectful of yourself and others and supportive of learning.  If you were in a lake or beach environment, you would maybe wear a bathing suit but not a shirt and tie. If you were going to a job interview, you may wear a shirt and tie or dress but hopefully not a bathing suit.  The educational environment tends to be more like the work environment and your job here is all about getting a good education!

Hats, hoods, or other non-religious head coverings:

• Are not to be worn in the building or classroom during regular school days between 6:00 am and 2:35 pm.
  • Headbands or scarves tied in such a way as to hold back hair are permitted
    • Paisley print bandanas/handkerchiefs are not permitted as headwear or worn/carried in other ways including tied around wrists, backpacks or hanging out of pockets.
      • Inappropriate bandanas include but are not limited to:
          • Blue, Red, Black paisley pattern print
      • This rule may be modified for designated spirit wear on spirit days)

Tops: Shirts/Tanks should:  

• Generally, reach the hemline of the bottoms worn with it or have an outer layer worn over
  • Appropriately cover cleavage, chest, back, and midriff (including undergarments)
  • Have sleeves or straps
    • Inappropriate Tops would include but are not limited to:
      • Crop tops
      • Backless or halter top shirts
      • see through shirts or shirts with inappropriate gaps/holes

Bottoms: Pants/Shorts/Dresses/Skirts should:

• Be a school appropriate length and not revealing, including when sitting down and when walking up stairs
  • Be free of revealing holes, not cut to be excessively revealing, nor worn in a revealing way. Again, undergarments should not be inappropriately exposed
  • Dresses should appropriately cover cleavage, chest, back, and midriff (including undergarments) and have straps or sleeves
  • Shorts or spandex are encouraged under skirts and dresses
    • Inappropriate Bottoms would include but are not limited to:
      • Those revealing of underwear or buttocks
      • Those with excessively revealing thigh slits

Clothing that is clearly in violation of school expectations, such as but not limited to: pictures or words relating to weapons, profanity, drugs, hate speech, nudity, will not be tolerated.  

The use of colors, symbols, dress, grooming, or personal property that suggests a student is a member of a group that promotes illegal activity or racial bias or suggests inappropriate or unauthorized behavior is prohibited.

This dress code is applicable to all but will be reviewed on an individual basis.  Any student found out of compliance with the dress code will be given a warning and a chance to correct the violation. Students unable to correct the violation will be asked to contact home or sent home to correct the problem. Inappropriate articles may be confiscated during the day.  Administration may approve Dress Code altering for Spirit/Special Events.

There are a few exceptions to the rules of the dress code but, people still need to be aware of what they are wearing and if it is school appropriate. For a school setting and a good work environment and be aware of the consequences of not using the right dress code.