How fear can affect individuals

How fear can affect individuals

Fear can develop at any stage in life, and can sometimes be the result of a trauma. One way to overcome fear is to talk to someone you trust about it, like a therapist, teacher, parent, or friend.

PHOTO COURTESY OF PIXABAY.COM

PHOTO COURTESY OF PIXABAY.COM

PHOTO COURTESY OF PIXABAY.COM

ZaReah Barren, Editor-in-Chief

Fear is a mental and emotional reaction to outside threat, or a threat inside your head. Fear can stem from a sense of danger, trauma, or loss of control.

Fears and phobias come from the same science background, but are different in their form. According to Grace College, a fear is caused by an imminent threat and a phobia is a type of anxiety disorder that lasts at least six months and is triggered by a specific object or situation.

“When I was younger I used to have separation anxiety so it made it hard to sleep with other relatives [away from my parents], but I got over it,” sophomore Ethan Walter-Goodspeed said.

Fear is a major factor in flight or fight situations. Flight or fight stems from a stressful situation that causes fear or panic. Your flight response is what makes you run away from the fear or danger, and your fight response is what makes you confront the danger head on. Everyone uses the two responses differently, and in every situation people will have different reactions.

There is a third response that most people are aware of, being frozen or paralyzed in fear. According to The Conversation, being frozen in fear happens when your other to responses stall, due to the fact that you are surprised from the situation. Becoming so shocked to the point where you can’t move or think, all you can do is stand that and stare at the danger or threat.

Fear and stress go hand in hand, and according to Anxiety Centre, every time we become even a little fearful it triggers a stress response and stresses out the entire body. This also works in the opposite direction, if you are stressed out about a test or something in your life, you are fearful as well and the same process occurs.

“Sometimes I take a step back and take about the steps I need to succeed [to deal with my fears],” sophomore Jannell Johnson said.

Dealing with fear can be a scary thing to do, but once you confront your fears they become smaller, and it gives you more power over the fear. Fear has the ability to control your life, but there are programs and at home steps you can take to overcome them.

About the Writer
ZaReah Barren, Editor-in-Chief

Hi! My name is ZaReah and I am a senior. This is my fourth year on staff at Auburn Riverside and my second year as Editor-in-Chief. I love to write...