The effectiveness of a full hour of lunch

A full hour of lunch can also help students who feel pressured into eating their lunch quickly.

Office of Communications-Creativ

Office of Communications-Creativ

Office of Communications-Creativ

Connor MacDougall, Staff Reporter

This year, the Auburn School District implemented a new period of time during lunch for students to work on stuff they feel is important, and here at Auburn Riverside, it’s called “AR Time”.  Some of the students use it to catch up on home/school work that they couldn’t get done at any other time, but a lot of students use AR Time for messing around and hanging out with friends.

As someone who doesn’t have a lot of trouble with schoolwork, I, as well as hundreds of other students at our school, use AR Time to do activities I normally do in my free time. Many students have a lot of extracurricular activities outside of school that take up a good portion of their day, whether it be sports, clubs, or family activities. This, coupled with the school work we may have, results in a substantial lack of freedom outside of high school. With this in mind, I think it would be beneficial to students if they could have access to a full hour of lunch, as opposed to a 30-minute lunch and 30-minute AR Time period.  

Obviously, not all students should have access to a full hour of lunch, and still believe intervention should be in place for students with a grade lower than a C-. I think, similarly to this system, students who have a grade higher than a B- should have the opportunity to utilize a full lunch period.

For many students, high school is their transition from childhood into adulthood. They get their driver’s license, their first job, and they also build new relationships. With all of this, students also face a great deal of responsibility. With a full hour of lunch, students could experiment with their schedules and find the consequences if they don’t do their work accordingly. But, if students find time to do their schoolwork effectively, they could be rewarded with a much longer lunch.