2019: A prime time for sequels

Sequels are opportunities for the story to get better, whether for one character or a group of characters---the more beloved, the more anticipated and exciting it is sure to be for fans.

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

2019 so far has been one of the hottest years for movies—sequels especially. From Disney to horror, film sequels are just pouring out by the weeks and months. Some people frown upon sequels as “ruiners” of perfectly good originals whilst others view them as exciting continuations of their favorite characters. Of course, there’s also that middle ground where viewers are indifferent and just judge by how the sequel turns out. Note that the definition of sequel is, “a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one.” So some of the movies listed below will not be just the second movie, some may be the third or fourth even—making it more of a series.

At this time in April, there are already four major movie sequels that have been released into theaters or have already made it to DVD stores. There is How to Train your Dragon: The Hidden World, Avengers: Endgame (a huge one actually that hit theaters just recently), The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, Glass (sequel to the movies Split and Unbreakable) and Happy Death Day 2U. So far each of these movies has done fairly well in reviews. Avengers: Endgame actually hit over a million dollars in just their opening weekend—one of the fastest movies to have gained so much and ranked so high in such a short period of time.

Next, there are the movies currently being finished off for theaters or are still in the mentioning for hitting them sometime this year. There’s about 12 in this area. Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Dark Phoenix (yet another X-men sequel), Toy Story 4, It: Chapter Two, Star Wars: Rise of the Skywalker, Spider-Man: Far from Home, Frozen II, The Secret Life of Pets 2, The Angry Birds movie 2, 47 Meters Down: Uncaged, Annabelle Comes Home and Zombieland: Double Tap. Note that more of the movies that were just listed are in the PG-13 or R rating; make sure to do a little bit of research before seeing them when they enter theaters just in case. Some of these movies are hugely anticipated and already have a large build-up of excited fans. The It: Chapter One remake had an amazing take off upon its release, a truly beloved Stephen King store that looked just as good on screen (the trailer was released just recent to early May for chapter two.) Of course, the anticipation doesn’t hit home with all of the upcoming movies, but there are a lot of theories floating around about a few of them that are really roaring up the crowds—enough to where it will still be a big deal when they arrive.

Though they say that they’re planned for 2019, it’s still early enough in the year to where not all movies have their titles or plots released and open to the public. There’s only one movie on this list, a sequel following up a pretty great beginning (though said the first movie ended in a way that has audiences probably questioning just where they’re gonna go with the second). Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was a hit among all, a very distant sequel to the very original Robin Williams movie. According to the website IMDb, this 2019 we are expecting a third addition to the series. It’s still labeled as Untitled, but hopes for it being a good continuation of the already grand series are high as ever.

This is most definitely a huge year for sequels. In the making of this article, even one of the biggest sequels is still popular and awing (Avengers: Endgame). It’s a prime time for some reason for the continuation of all of these amazing original stories. Some might not turn out as good as others, but it’s still really great seeing our favorite characters live on and enter in on new adventures.

(Note: There might be other movie sequels coming out this year that are known of through rumors or actual interviews, but these were all of the ones from a list on IMDb)

About the Writer
Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Hello! My name's Celeste Pearisaeff (pronounced peer-soff) and I am a student and sophomore at Auburn Riverside Senior High school. Some hobbies of mine...