How the ARHS school counselors feel about our school

The ARHS logo

The ARHS logo

Erica Jenkins, Staff Reporter

At Auburn Riverside High School, students have four school counselors they can turn to if they require help with scheduling classes, solving drama issues, helping with issues at home, referring you to a psychologist if needed and much more. Counselors are a requirement in every school, so no matter what high school or middle school you attend, they should always be there as a resource.

As stated in www.all psychology schools.com, “School counselors assist students at all levels, from elementary school to college. They act as advocates for students’ well-being, and as valuable resources for their educational advancement.” This means that their job is to assist you with whatever you need. This doesn’t mean that they can solve all of your problems, but they are committed to doing the best they can.

According to Ms. Veronika Raguzin-Holloman (G-L) and Dr. Daniel Polley (M-Ro), each counselor has about 400 people on their caseload, and on average they see around 10-20 people on busy days, and sometimes none on less eventful days. It all depends on how long it takes to counsel each student, and if there are other things that need to be done throughout the day, such as paperwork and staff meetings. When asked about the social climate of our school, Polley said that most students are very kind and that he’s proud of the fact that we barely have any physical fighting at our school. He did say that there still are some occasional troublemakers and that there will always be troublemakers. Holloman, on the other hand, brought up the fact that social media, specifically Snapchat, and “tea spilling” are the real troublemakers at our school. She hates that they have such a powerful effect on high schools and today’s general youth.

Both counselors, when asked what their favorite parts of their job are, said that they love getting to know the students, and to help them with whatever they may need help with. They do love helping the students, whether with mental health or with schedule changes, so don’t be afraid to come to talk to your counselors. They also said that they do notice when certain groups (specifically sports players) are given special treatment over other students. Holloman pointed out the fact that the school website features an “athlete of the week” page, but never of a high-achieving student of the week. The counselors also agree that more inclusive extra-curricular activities would be beneficial, but starting a club and running a club can be very difficult for both student and advisor.

Overall, the counselors are a great resource, and they do realize what goes on around the school. Unfortunately, Dr. Sam Hartt (A-F) and Karen Brown (Rp-Z) were unavailable for this article, but they surely share the same sentiment as the other counselors. Show all four of our counselors some appreciation! You can always book an appointment with your counselor via the counseling office or the Auburn Riverside school website. The counselors are assigned by the first letter (or two) of your last name. refer to earlier in this article or on the school website to figure out which counselor is assigned to you.