The debate between club and school sports

The girls soccer team has a majority of members that play club soccer outside of school.

DHC Photography

DHC Photography

DHC Photography

ZaReah Barren, Editor-in-Chief

Club sports and school sports have a long running rivalry. School sports allow students to become more connected to their school and make new friends that they can see on a daily basis. Club sports allow all students to become more competitive in their sport and perfect their craft.

Most club sports are year-round, for more growth than a single school season would allow. Lots of students who are looking to continue their sport into adulthood choose to participate in club sports and school sports to gain more practice and recognition by colleges and professional teams.

Many students at Riverside in school sports also play club sports year-round. A large majority of the girls soccer and girls volleyball teams have players that are also a part of club teams.

“[I plan on] playing soccer in college,” freshman McKenzie Emmons said.

Emmons plays both school soccer at Riverside and club soccer.

“I’ve been playing soccer since I was three, and club soccer since fourth grade,” Emmons said. “This is my first year of school soccer.”

Club and school sports are utilized for two different reasons. Club sports are played if someone feels they have a future in the sport. School sports can be used for the same reason, but most of the time they are used to become more involved in the school and do something active that students find fun.

“[If I had to choose] I would choose club soccer because you get more help with choosing a college to play at,” Couch said. “[But also] school soccer because it’s more local, and in club I play with people all over the state.”