Our library lacks decent selection of LGBTQ books

There's thousands of LGBTQ books out there, but our school lacks an extensive collection to check out, like the display shown above

Connor MacDougall, Staff Reporter

There’s no doubt that our school has an expansive selection of books at our library, ranging from intensely dramatic novels to hilarious comic books. But, what you may notice as you explore the shelves is, while you’ll find a wide selection of books about religion, politics and self care, there’s a distinct lack of books regarding gender identity or LGBTQ.

In high school, many students find themselves coming of age and discovering their true selves. With this in mind, it’s necessary that these students have resources to help fuel their identity and find out who they are. But, our library continuously fails to provide them with that. If you go to the library and look under the section “gender identity”, you’ll see books on completely unrelated topics, and only a couple LGBTQ books to check out. When the section dedicated to a specific group contains more books from other group than the group itself, it’s not hard to see why people are upset.

Auburn Riverside’s GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) has recognized the magnitude of this issue, and its members are beginning to take action.

“In public schools, it’s hard to get information about LGBTQ subjects… people aren’t very open about it,” senior GSA member Riley McCarthy says. “So when you go into a public library trying to be discreet and research on your own and the information simply isn’t there, it’s discouraging towards people of that community.”

To combat this problem, the GSA has worked together to bring new solutions to our school’s library.

“We completed a list of books that get us both talking about LGBTQ subjects, and provides support for people who might be coming out or anything similar to that,” sophomore GSA member Jailyn Rosenquist adds. This book list includes award-winning graphic memoir “Fun Home” by Alison Bechdel, as well as “Simon vs. the Homosapien Agenda”, which was recently re-released as the critically acclaimed 2018 movie “Love Simon”.

Needless to say, it’s distressing to see how our school has neglected to address the issue of gender identity through literature. Hopefully the future will bring more representation into our schools public library so more people can feel included.

“It’s important that we see ourselves in these books because everybody has a stereotype of what our community is like and there are so many different dimensions to our community, GSA advisor and Spanish teacher Juan Nuñez closes off, “and I feel that all of them need to be represented in our literature and in our library.”