The real controversy of Michael Jackson

The real controversy of Michael Jackson

NEW YORK - MARCH 1: Michael Jackson poses at a Pepsi Cola public relations event on the eve of the Radio City Music Hall Grammy Awards March 1, 1988 in New York City, New York. (Photo by Michael Ochs Archive/Getty Images)

Michael Ochs Archives

Michael Ochs Archives

Michael Ochs Archives

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Michael Jackson, the “King of Pop,” father of three and brother of about nine (complicatedly.) A man who made it to the top fabulously, and still carries on in the hearts of millions, despite his tragic passing. A man who, despite a recent and hugely controversial documentary, is still just as famous and beloved as the next. Leaving Neverland is a documentary released to the world by two men, James Safechuck and Wade Robson, both of which have accused and brought to light [once again] alleges of Michael Jackson sexually attacking them as children. Now controversy of this documentary and whether Jackson is guilty or not is flooding his fame (though he definitely still holds half of the fans he did before.)

Accusations of Jackson’s sexual abuse and pedophilic activity started in 1993 by the dentist, Evan Chandler, who accused Jackson of sexually abusing his 13-year-old son, Jordan Neil “Jordy” Chandler. There was a lot of argument as Chandler seemed to have a good deal of evidence (as he said) but even someone as close as his ex-wife, June, who had custody over their son, tried to dismiss his worries about the idea of Jackson and Jordan having any sort of inappropriate relationship. Eventually, the two parties reached a financial settlement as Chandler was lacking in evidence. Jackson continued and went on denying accusations of child sex abuse.

Unfortunately (for Jackson), the matter continued though as there are police reports dating back to 2003 of them searching the singer’s Santa Barbara property. A trial was held in 2005 against Jackson of child molestation but they were all dissolved. News reports continue to be released that claim that the police have found several items “depicting nude children” at the singer’s Neverland Ranch home over ten years ago.

The documentary, more than anything, is flooded with debate on many things other than just the accusations. Apparently, at one point in it shows a picture of Brett Barnes with Jackson, as back in his childhood Barnes and his family were great friends with the singer. Leaving Neverland gives viewers the impression that Barnes was one of the victims of Jackson’s sexual abuse, to the annoyance of Barnes. Before the documentary was even released, Barnes’ legal team had already taken action, defending Barnes as he apparently had not consulted about the use of his name and likeness in the film, no consent whatsoever. It was stated that Barnes would “suffer significant torment and pain if the film is broadcast and portrays him in this false light.” With all of this, Safechuck and Robson just continue to argue back (all of this through letter) that Barnes is just in denial that Jackson ever acted inappropriately towards him.

One of the biggest issues with the documentary overall is credibility. James Salter, the CEO of HBG has had some words to say about Robson and Safechucks’ allegations:

“Being in the entertainment business, there’s real news and fake news. And sometimes you never know the truth … Honestly, it’s an old story. Any news is good news. Honestly, I haven’t gotten one call. Not a peep. Maybe after it airs. Everyone says these guys have changed their stories 17 times. It’s hard to believe what’s true and what’s not true.” (According to Rolling Stone, Salter has not returned for a follow-up—despite requests—since the documentary aired.)

No matter the possibility of fiction in this whole situation that the four-hour documentary describes and no words that many public figures are putting out there in defense to Jackson, museums all over the world are removing items of Jackson’s. Many radio stations have as well banned songs by the singer. It is unknown where the King of Pop will really be, in memory, in the near future.

About the Writer
Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Hello! My name's Celeste Pearisaeff (pronounced peer-soff) and I am a student and sophomore at Auburn Riverside Senior High school. Some hobbies of mine...