Uprising of “Apex Legends”

Uprising of “Apex Legends”

"Apex Legends" has taken a unique spin off the classic style of battle royale gaming. Specialists grant players enhanced capabilities, examples being (from left to right) Bloodhound, Wraith, and Gibraltar

Jack Morrell, Staff Reporter

The creators at Respawn have set the stage with a new style of battle royale, Apex Legends. Apex Legends is a free-to-play game, that includes nine differing “Legends” with unique powers and capabilities. Respawn has been previously involved with the games Titanfall and its sequel, and have branched off the greater idea of the game. “Respawn Titanfall-themed shooter stormed out of the gates… racking up 25 million players in seven days and regularly dominating the Twitch charts” says The Verge.

The game was released February 4 and drew in over a million players in less than eight hours and a total of 2.5 million players in the first day. This is roughly five times as fast as the previous video game craze, “Fortnite Battle Royale.”

On the 19th of March, Apex Legends released its first “battle pass,” which is a progressive reward system that players can level up through competing in the game. Its contents include several cosmetic items to add to the customization of the game. Several other video game franchises have resorted to a progressive system that grants players more access by playing the game. For example, Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, Rocket League, and Fortnite have all been inclusive of battle passes to promote their game towards players who are willing to put in the time to advance throughout its seemly endless tiers.

Respawn has shown the community new features that have positively influenced people’s experience playing the game. Abilities have been included that allow bringing teammates back to life after being eliminated, several customization options, and automatic sprinting movements.

Overall, Apex Legends has some qualities that will undeniably contribute to the future success of the game. With its rapid player expansion and consistent updates, Respawn has shown that they will be able to continually be successful in satisfying the player base to create a fantastic video game.

About the Writer
Jack Morrell, Staff Reporter

Hey Guys! My name is Jack Morrell, a sophomore here at Auburn Riverside. I contributed on staff last year, and had a great time working with the staff. ...