The Shamrock Shake, Mint Oreo Blizzard gain popularity on St. Patrick’s day

The two St. Patrick's day desserts go head to head.

https://www.grubgrade.com/2009/03/polls-mcdonalds-shamrock-shake-vs-dairy-queens-mint-oreo-blizzard/

Erica Jenkins, Staff Reporter

As St. Patrick’s day has passed, traces of the Irish-American holiday can be seen almost everywhere you go. One area where this particularly stands out is in the fast-food industry. As many people know, the color green is something highly represented on St. Patrick’s day, to the point where if you are not wearing the common color, people will come up to you and pinch you, claiming that they have the right to because you aren’t wearing the signature color of the holiday.

This relates to food because often times, the cool flavor of mint is also associated with the color green, leading to many restaurants taking advantage of that to make minty green foods for the holiday. Two foods, in particular, are from two extremely popular fast-food restaurants, McDonald’s and Dairy Queen. They are the minty Shamrock Shake offered by McDonald’s for a limited time, and the Mint Oreo Blizzard from Dairy Queen, which is usually the Blizzard Of The Month during March (but is still an option year-round).

As for popular opinion, an anonymous online poll where 109 people were given the option of choosing the blizzard, the shake, neither or both, the results were as follows: McDonald’s Shamrock Shake  26.32 percent (50 votes), Dairy Queen Mint Oreo Blizzard 46.32 percent (88 votes), Both 6.3 percent (12 votes), or Neither 21.04 percent).

The results were very clear that the Blizzard was the most favorable of the two. I also conducted a poll using Instagram stories, and the result (out of 13 people who responded) was ten people opting for the blizzard, and 3 for the shake. But, aside from popular vote, the shake seems to be lower in calories compared to the blizzard. The nutrition fact for a small of both are as follows: The Mint Oreo Blizzard has a total of 580 calories, 20 grams (g) of fat, 89g of carbs, and a whole 12g of protein. The Shamrock Shake claims to have 560 calories, 13g of fat, 74g of carbs, and 10g of protein.

As for my opinion, it basically matches what the polls claim. Unfortunately, we could not get a shamrock shake because the ice cream machine was broken in all three McDonald’s I was able to get to (what a surprise) so we decided to make our own by mixing ice cream, milk and peppermint flavoring in a blender (which is what McDonald’s claims to do with their famous shake anyway). The result is exactly what you would expect from a mint shake. The person who made it for me is a huge fan of their shake, and she claimed it tasted exactly like the shake, as well.

As for the Mint Oreo Blizzard, it was basically the same as the shamrock shake, except thicker and filled with the Oreo goodness. My ultimate take on it is if you like the combination of Oreos and mint, the blizzard is much better. But, if you don’t like Oreos or just the combination of mint and Oreo, the shake is definitely worth the try.