Emerald City Comic Con 2019 takes off

Emerald City Comic Con 2019 takes off

Emerald City Comic Con is one of the biggest events in Seattle each year. Comic fans and others flock to the convention to buy art, meet people and get autographs, and much more.

Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

Emerald City Comic Con, or ECCC, is a convention that happens every year at the Washington State Convention Center. This year, it was held on March 14-17 and is one of the biggest events in Seattle each year. Fans alike attend the convention to interact with people with similar interests, receive autographs, purchase art and figurines, and much more. Some even choose to cosplay at this popular event and many people even create high interest in costumes and the culture associated with dressing up as a fan. ECCC 2020 has been announced to take place March 12-15.

ECCC provides an inclusive space to celebrate pop culture, comics, movies, and other things alike. Some popular guests this year included Peter Capaldi, the 12 doctor from Doctor Who, Rupert Grint who played “Ron Weasley” in Harry Potter, Rainn Wilson who played “Dwight Schrute” in The Office, and some members from the Stranger Things cast, Caleb McLaughlin, Finn Wolfhard, and Gaten Matarazzo. Noelle Stevenson, the showrunner for She-Ra and the Princess Of Power and author of the comic “Nimona”, even made a special appearance for two panels on Saturday.

“Being staff gives you the special opportunity to meet and talk with special guests and even befriend some of them as well,” said junior Tri Pham.

The Washington State Convention Center is rather huge, the convention taking up multiple floors and even part of a nearby hotel, the Hyatt Regency. The show floor, including the artists alley, took up an entire floor itself. Although the lines seemed crowded at times, it was still rather spacious and large.

“I didn’t do too much this con,” said Pham. “Though, I did cosplay Deathstroke and Shino Aburame from Naruto as well.”

If you’re looking for a convention in the Washington area, ECCC seems to be one of the most popular and worth-while options. With many options for people with similar and different interests, this con is one of the best in Seattle.

About the Writer
Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

I'm currently a freshman at Auburn Riverside High School and am absolutely ecstatic to be writing on the InFlight newspaper staff! I mostly enjoys writing...