Learning about psychology can make you happier

Learning about your brain can make you happier

Hanna Andersson, Staff Reporter

A new study by the Center for Collegiate Mental Health shows that you possibly could teach students to be mentally healthy. Big universities such as Harvard and Yale have provided courses in mental health and they have been among the most popular courses the past couple of years. They found that when teaching strategies to cope with stress, the students have actually shown less signs of anxiety and depression.

According to an article from Verywellmind.com about how psychology can help you in your daily life, studies have shown that  just being aware of unhealthy behavior lead to healthier choices. This means that with knowledge, we become healthier.

If you as an AR student wants to learn more about this, the course AP Psychology provided here at Riverside is a way of doing just that. In addition to stress and mental health, you learn about the human brain and how it works which, aside from giving you college credit, can help you get an insight in your own thoughts, behavior patterns and why we feel certain things.

When discussing this with AP psychology teacher Mrs. Jilbert, she pointed out that “Hiccups and bumps on the road happens every day, and [psychology] helps us figure out the skills and the strategies to get around those.” She also explains that learning about psychology will provide us with “a full and complete component, that I think everybody, regardless of what you choose to do as a career, benefits from.”  In her class, you will have the opportunity to find out more about the things mentioned here, and much more.