James Gunn’s tweets: inappropriate, controversial, terminating

Last July, director James Gunn was fired from his position as director of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies due to inappropriate tweets posted between 2008 and 2012. In the past months, figures popular in entertainment, politics, etc have shared their opinion on the issue, as well as cast members of the franchise.

One member of the Guardians of the Galaxy who has very adamantly expressed his disagreement with the Gunn firing is actor and former professional wrestler Dave Bautista, who plays Drax in the series.

“Where I’m at right now is that if [Marvel] doesn’t use that script, then I’m going to ask them to release me from my contract, cut me out or recast me,” Bautista said. “I’d be doing James a disservice if I didn’t.”

It is also worth noting that since Bautista made these claims, Disney has since announced that Gunn’s script will in fact be used in the expected third film of the trilogy.

While plenty find it upsetting that Gunn has lost his position as director, the tweets published were distasteful and unprofessional, albeit posted long ago. His tweets included jokes about subject matter such as pedophilia, sexual assault, and infidelity, doing so with quite colorful language and vulgarity.

“I can understand why some people got angry with him about these tweets, because a lot of them are very inappropriate,” Senior Josh Hales said. “I’m sure James Gunn wasn’t trying to offend people, but I am still disappointed in him.”

While his intent may not have been to offend people, it’s understandable there must be consequences. But termination? Is there no better course of action for jokes, although of serious nature?

Gunn has since apologized several times for his words, saying, “When I made these shocking jokes, I wasn’t living them out… I used to make a lot of offensive jokes. I don’t blame my past self for this, but I like myself more and feel like a more full human being today.”

“Where I’m standing right now, I don’t think he should have been fired,” Senior Wesley Lippard said. “I have mixed feelings, it’s murky waters.”

As it stands, it looks like the original cast will all make a third appearance in the next Guardians film, and whoever the new director is will be using Gunn’s script.

“I’m happy they’re going to be using his script. It would’ve been cruel to get rid of the script he spent so much time on,” Hales added. “If Guardians 3 does come out, I am going to see it because I am a Marvel fan, but I just feel like it’s not going to have the magic, or give me the feelings I had watching the other ones because it’s someone else directing it.”

Only time will tell on whether or not Guardians of the Galaxy 3 will hold up to the first two installments to the series. It certainly seems difficult to believe that another director could capture the signature witty, tongue-in-cheek humor of Gunn, balanced with accuracy to the original comics and excitement for audiences.

About the Writers
PJ Sills, Sports Editor

Hi! My name is Phillip Joseph Sills but you can call me PJ; I'm a senior at Auburn Riverside and act as a Staff Reporter of the InFlight Newspaper! I hope...

Annjanettea Doyle, Staff Reporter

Hello, I'm a sophomore at Auburn Riverside High School.  I'm a band student and love playing, it's my passion. Next to that, I love writing because of...