School creates stress in students

School creates stress in students

School is a major cause of stress in students. From worrying about your classes this semester to worrying about where you will be in ten years, the work that you do is in a bundle with pressure and stress.

ZaReah Barren, Editor-in-Chief

It should be obvious that the burdens of high school can bring stress and anxiety problems with them, but it seems that many students seem to face issues when attempting to cope with it. There are many reasons why students would be prone to mental health problems, and most of them are direct consequences of school.

Everyone deals with some level of stress and anxiety. These can be great motivators if you need to get a project finished, but if you have a big test that is worth 95 percent of your grade, students often feel the pressure and weight of such a big ask. There are many resources available to help everyone stay healthy, but there is a constant worry in the back of our minds that we will fail. We often hear “what you do now decides your future”, and most of the time we step into high school with this notion in the back of our minds.

There is multiple sources with outstanding evidence that state not graduating high school will affect your future salary. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the average high school dropout’s salary is $20,241, which is $10,386 less than the average high school graduate. We hear these types of facts and see these facts play out in real life everyday. This creates constant worry about our future, and leaves us to figure out how to deal with it ourselves.

Many students try to deal with stress themselves, but the best solutions can come from talking to someone you trust and expressing your feelings. This can help relieve some of the burden these emotions carry with them.

When feeling stressed, most teachers make it known that they are available to talk. “I would tell [the student] to go talk to their school counselor”, language arts teacher Karyn Williamson said. “Or I would ask ‘what’s something concrete we can do right now’, and try to find something tangible because it’s easier to fix”.

If the stress and pressure become overbearing, lots of students start to withdraw and distract themselves with other things, but there are better ways to deal with it.

“Break the item that is causing you stress into pieces”, math teacher Robyn Saarenas said. “Try to get one little piece done as often as you can”.

Stress and anxiety are a part of everyday life, but in no way should they consume your thoughts are actions. Try to express your feelings to people you know and trust and realize that if you put in the time and work, you will succeed.

About the Writer
ZaReah Barren, Editor-in-Chief

Hi! My name is ZaReah and I am a senior. This is my fourth year on staff at Auburn Riverside and my second year as Editor-in-Chief. I love to write...