Rapper 21 Savage’s true origins revealed

Some of the rapper’s most popular songs inclue “Bank Account” and “a lot” PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Connor MacDougall, Staff Reporter

There’s been a lot of disruption in the hip-hop community recently. Rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine was recently incarcerated for nine criminal counts, and other rapper YNW Melly was arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder. But perhaps the most shocking news came when it was revealed that rapper 21 Savage, who’s real name is Shéyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was actually from the United Kingdom and was living in the United States off of an expired visa.

On February 3, 21 Savage was arrested after being pulled over in his car with fellow rapper Young Nudy (who was also arrested). It was later announced that the rapper had lied about his image, and was actually born in London, England, with a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesperson mentioning, His whole public persona is false. He actually came to the U.S. from the U.K. as a teen and overstayed his visa”. This contradicts his previous statements, where he claimed to have been born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia.

Upon hearing the news, many were shocked that the rapper, who was still riding off the success of his recent album I Am > I Was, was unexpectedly lying about his country of origin. Sophomore Lesther Dumosmog was one of many who witnessed the online impact, saying, “I was surprised by all the memes”.

Still, 21 Savage was released from custody on February 13 after being granted bond the day before. On April 11, he will present himself at a expedited deportation hearing to find out if he will stay in America or be taken to the U.K.