Amount of time spent on homework for each grade level

This is the chart for the amount of homework each grade level should have each night according to the National Education Association and National Parent Teacher Association

Maddy Taylor and Hanna Andersson

The transition between middle school and high school comes with many new obstacles to get around. One of these is the amount of homework received each night. The time spent on homework can range from 15 minutes to 5 hours each night, depending on the grade level or class intensity.

Regardless of the amount of homework that people choose to do each night, there is a guideline to follow that is supported by both the National Education Association and the National Parent Teacher Association. This guideline is called the “10-minute rule”. The idea of this rule is that the amount of homework each night goes up 10 minutes per grade level. This means that an average junior should spend 110 minutes on homework each night, and an average senior two hours.

The sample of freshman that we surveyed had an average of about one and a half hours of homework each night. This follows the “10 minute rule” mentioned above, but some students that are in AP or honors classes have more than this some nights, one student said in their survey that they got seven and a half hours of homework each night, which is much more than the rule says they should have.

The sophomores that were surveyed averaged about four hours per night. Many of these students are taking higher level classes, which is much more than the “10 minute rule” guideline.

The juniors surveyed had an average of five hours of work each night, but they all had at least one AP class on their schedule, so the level of homework is higher than what the rule says they should have.

The seniors averaged about two hours of homework, which is right on the mark for the “10 minute rule” guideline.

It is worth acknowledging that the survey conducted for this article might not be completely accurate. It is easy to exaggerate the amount of time spent on homework because of the amount we believe we should spend. It also depends on what classes you take.

A schedule of mostly AP classes may require more time spent on homework. How effectively you use your time influences the time spent on homework too, as well as what study technique you use. The 10-minute rule is a good guideline, but everybody needs take their own schedule and life into account.