Erin Jones speaks her truth

Erin Jones inspires thousands of students every month, and they never fail to inspire her.

The Seattle Times

ZaReah Barren, Editor-in-Chief

Public speaker Erin Jones came to Riverside on Thursday, January 17 to speak to students about the importance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and why everyone should realize the weight behind the holiday.

“Too many kids think of MLK as just a black holiday, and all they know is the ‘I have a dream’ speech, and that he was assassinated, [but] they don’t know anything else about his life and so I think especially kids of this generation need to see how his life applies to their lives right now”, Jones said. “I really want them to think about what could his life mean for them”.

She became a full-time public speaker after she lost her election for State Superintendent of public instruction by one point in 2016.

Jones spoke of her past, and how it has helped her grow into the person she is today. She started speaking when she was just 16-years-old, but only took it as a professional career around ten years ago. She speaks around the country, for all grade levels, businesses, and even churches.

“I speak wherever people ask me to come”, said Jones. “I’ve spoken to 250,000 people in the last two years”.

She speaks about not only MLK, but dreams, visions, goal setting, purpose and politics to name a few.

She hopes to take her speaking international soon, and already has people reaching out to her from Africa and India. She feels that public speaking is her passion, and is extremely happy in her field.