Netflix is a joke

Netflix+stand+up+could+be+the+thing+that+brings+the+famous+website%2Fapp+down---due+to+debt.+

Netflix is a joke

Netflix stand up could be the thing that brings the famous website/app down---due to debt.

Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Something that Netflix is well known these days for our its Netflix Originals. Producing movies like Birdbox, To All the Boys I’ve Ever Loved and Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle—obviously the website/app is branching out on its genres. Possibly Netflix’s most used genre (and maybe even highest paid for) is comedy; specifically comedy specials. Actors and comedians, interviewed after their specials, told reporters that because of their bits, they received somewhere as low as $26,000 and as high as $40 million for 15 minutes of stand-up. For years it has almost seemed like Netflix has had an infinite fortune of money to spend on things like stand-up.

Recently though, as it has started paying for its specials—one per every few weeks—the debt has begun building up for this popular website. Netflix has [once again] needed to go to debt markets to fund “its enormous appetite for content”. Just at the end of 2018, it announced that it was in $8.34 billion in long-term debt, up from 71 percent the previous year.

Since stand-up picked up on Netflix, it has had to cancel multiple original series. Though the website has been talking about getting out of debt, their tactic is to ramp up original offerings. Skeptics say though that Netflix will spend so much to grow its dominance over its stand-up market, that it will probably not stop spending multi-million dollar sums on star comics anytime soon.

According to an article written by Seth Simmons, “So we should be happy that young, talented voices are getting the recognition and pay they deserve”. His opinion is that Netflix is running itself into the ground. “But we should also be wary of what a company like Netflix can do with all the talent, all the leverage, and no accountability. Perhaps it would not be so bad for comedians and their representatives to start demanding transparency now, lest they need to beg for it later”.

About the Writer
Celeste Pearisaeff, Staff Reporter

Hello! My name's Celeste Pearisaeff (pronounced peer-soff) and I am a student and sophomore at Auburn Riverside Senior High school. Some hobbies of mine...