Mr. Marino, The Teacher Who’s Goal Is To Inspire

Mr. Marino is a student teacher who is very outgoing and genuine. He cares about education, and it shows.

Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

Brent Marino is a new student teacher this year who is planning on teaching history. He attended ARHS as a teenager, and was even on the newspaper staff. Today, many students have taken a liking to Marino and his ways of teaching.

“I think there is a lot that goes into being a good teacher. First, you have to like the job and appreciate high school students”, said Patrick McKeehan when asked what it takes to be a good teacher. “Caring about students is a very big part of being a successful teacher. Planning and preparation are also very important to being a good teacher”.

“The personal standards I hold for myself are generally pretty simple”, said Marino. “I believe they make a difference within my own personal development AND professional as well”.

Though he loves teaching, Marino hasn’t always been the best at learning and wasn’t the greatest student. He obtained a middle of the road GPA in high school, and his GPA in college wasn’t that great either. He struggled in math as well. As a younger kid, he went through several types of chemotherapy which lead him to being diagnosed with severe cognitive learning disabilities during college.

Marino spent a period of his life blaming the people around him and the outside factors for the direction that his life was going.

“At some point everything changed when I started telling myself I could do everything some people said I couldn’t”, Marino explained. “I made a conscious effort to learn as much as I could about things I hadn’t been good at previously”.

He taught himself the math he failed in college at his own pace and even taught himself to be an effective salesperson. He achieved his securities licenses in order to buy and sell stock for JPMorgan Securities after he went to work for a brokerage, telling himself “I would always do what I needed to better myself, no matter how difficult it seemed in the moment”.

His plan is not to be the teacher who plans on rewriting the book of education, but instead strives to bring an excitement into his classroom for the students who are not happy to be there, the same students who ask “why would I want to learn this”? or “when am I ever going to use this”? He wants to inspire every single student he ever comes in contact with, and even if it’s only one interaction, have the paradigm shift and have them decide to accomplish something they previously thought impossible for them. Then, it will all be worth it for him.

“Teaching is more than a job or even a profession, it is a duty to the future. It’s as much about relationships as it is content, the words Principal Halford said to me on my first day that will stick with me until I retire”.

Marino’s father was a terrible student, and never saw much of a future for himself. If it wasn’t for a few key teachers who saw more in him than he saw in himself, Marino nor his father may not be here today. “Teaching, to me, is everything. If I won the lottery tonight, I would still be here tomorrow. Probably just in a much cooler car”, Marino ended. He remains an inspiration for many, and is planning on continuing his career path in teaching for many years to come.

About the Writer
Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

I'm currently a freshman at Auburn Riverside High School and am absolutely ecstatic to be writing on the InFlight newspaper staff! I mostly enjoys writing...