Schools shouldn’t use money motivation

There+are+some+school+districts+in+New+York%2C+Washington+D.C.+and+Chicago+that+reward+student%27s+good+grades+with+allowances.+However%2C+this+is+a+waste+of+money+especially+from+tax+payers+if+this+was+the+means+of+getting+the+money+for+these+rewards.+

Schools shouldn’t use money motivation

There are some school districts in New York, Washington D.C. and Chicago that reward student's good grades with allowances. However, this is a waste of money especially from tax payers if this was the means of getting the money for these rewards.

Alexus J.

Alexus J.

Alexus J.

Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

School can be beyond stressful with homework and tests, not to mention all the pressing social conflict everyone deals with. This stress leads to many students feeling as if it’s not worth it to do well in school. Some people believe that this warrants a reward system, mainly one involving money. However, money rewards are a needless system to motivate students to do well in school.

People might equate school to a job which is a reasonable statement, but the idea of paying students to do what they are required by law to do to get a proper education is completely different than an adult going to work. Adults are expected to pay bills and provide for themselves, but children, especially in elementary and middle school, shouldn’t worry about financial problems.

In low-income families where the child isn’t old enough to go out and find a way to make extra money, the monetary rewards would be beneficial. The problem with this is that the stress of the family is then put upon the child as to keep up their grades just so their family can pay a bill every month. Most families that are struggling should be able to qualify for financial aid or other programs, too.

At Riverside, for example, there are other ways to promote good grades such as the new Enrichment/Intervention program. Instead of giving out a ‘paycheck’ to passing students, the school allows the students with grades at a C- or above to choose what they would like to do in the 30 minutes provided. This inexpensive reward system motivates students to stay on top of their grades while acknowledging that struggling students need help.

It’s also important to remember that good grades boost a student’s ability to get into a good college that will eventually allow them to go into the real world and get paid to do something that they truly want to do.

About the Writer
Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

Hi! My name is Alexus Jacobs, I'm a junior and this is my third year writing for InFlight. I cannot wait to start writing feature and Student Life articles...