The Spring Musical: Urinetown Auditions

The Spring Musical: Urinetown Auditions

The musical Urinetown is a satirical spotlight on the legal system, social irresponsibility, capitalism, and many other problems within society. The idea first came to mind after the writer Greg Kotis encountered a pay toilet while traveling in Europe.

PHOTO COURTESY OF PLAYBILLDER

PHOTO COURTESY OF PLAYBILLDER

PHOTO COURTESY OF PLAYBILLDER

Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

Every year Auburn Riverside’s International Thespian Society puts on two productions. One play in the fall, and one musical in the spring. This year, the spring musical was decided to be Urinetown by Greg Koti and Mark Hollmann.

“In the not-so-distant future, a terrible water shortage and 20-year drought has led to a government ban on private toilets and a proliferation of paid public toilets, owned and operated by a single megalomaniac company: the Urine Good Company. If the poor don’t obey the strict laws prohibiting free urination, they’ll be sent to the dreaded and mysterious “Urinetown.” After too long under the heel of the malevolent Caldwell B. Cladwell, the poor stage a revolt, led by a brave young hero, fighting tooth and nail for the freedom to pee “wherever you like, whenever you like, for as long as you like, and with whomever you like.” A brilliant satire modeled off the plays of Kurt Weill and Bertolt Brecht, Urinetown is a wickedly funny, fast-paced, and surprisingly intelligent comedic romp”.

Synopsis courtesy of StageAgent.com

The informational pre-audition meeting for Urinetown is on Friday, January 11 from 3-3:30 p.m. after school. Auditions are the following week on the 15, 16, 17, and 18 from 3-6 p.m. Even if you are not interested in acting, it is highly encouraged that you look into being a tech.

About the Writer
Nick Rhodes-Huwe, Staff Reporter

I'm currently a freshman at Auburn Riverside High School and am absolutely ecstatic to be writing on the InFlight newspaper staff! I mostly enjoys writing...