Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

School start times equal more sleep for teens

Students are constantly falling asleep in class, but it is unknown if this stems from lack of sleep, or simply a surge of boredom. In either case, students should be learning and not sleeping.

PHOTO BY ALEXUS J.

PHOTO BY ALEXUS J.

Alexus Jacobs, Staff Reporter

Here at Riverside, school starts approximately at 8:05 AM on regular days and 9:05 AM on PLC Mondays. The rest of the schools in the Auburn School District-with the exception of West Auburn High- also start at 8:05 and 9:05. Even though these times are relatively late in the morning, it is common to see high school zombies walking throughout the halls and slumping over their desks sometimes until after third period. The most said reasoning for sleepy teens is the early start time.

Although school starts at 8:05, the majority of teens that attend Riverside say they wake up around 5:00 AM and fall asleep about midnight. That means students only get an estimate of 5 total hours of sleep, which isn’t enough time for a healthy young adult.

According to Nationwide Children’s, “However, [teenagers between the age of 13 and 18] need between 9 and 9 ½ hours [of sleep].”

In that case, if a teen gets up around 5:00, their bedtime should be at 9:00. The only problem with a 9:00 bedtime is that a large amount of teens are involved in after-school activities and have an average of two hours of homework. Some juniors, seniors, even sophomores and freshmen also have the responsibly of a part-time job.

A later start time, however, would cause the same problems as the regular schedule, as well. If school were to start at 10:00, for example, schools are to remain in session for at least seven hours, which would lead to school letting out at 4:00. The late let out time would mean sports practice later in the evening, less time to do homework, and eventually, even later bedtimes, starting the whole cycle over again.

Another thing to think about is during daylight saving time. If school were to let out at 4:00, the sun sets at 0:00, making it dark outside once students are released from school. This poses an issue for pedestrian students: they would be walking home in the dark and quite possibly, the cold.

Many teens find themselves up until the wee hours of the night; playing video games, cramming for a test the next day and lurking around on social media. On the weekends and in moderation, these things can be harmless. But if done every night or all night, these activities will leave teens exhausted, foggy and unmotivated.