Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

RompHims: sublime, sensational, sexy

Regardless of where you fall on the “to romp or not to romp” continuum, it is clear this fashion-forward garment has struck a distinct nerve in popular culture in only a month’s time. Believe it or not, the RompHim has actually been a part of men’s fashion for some time, it just hasn’t had the catchy name it has now. In fact, Sean Connery (James Bond) even wore one in  1964’s Goldfinger.

Regardless of where you fall on the “to romp or not to romp” continuum, it is clear this fashion-forward garment has struck a distinct nerve in popular culture in only a month’s time. Believe it or not, the RompHim has actually been a part of men’s fashion for some time, it just hasn’t had the catchy name it has now. In fact, Sean Connery (James Bond) even wore one in 1964’s Goldfinger.

PHOTO COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE MIC.COM

PJ Sills, Managing Editor

As I make my way down the halls of our school, I see it: the behinds of several high school girls, hanging out of their short-shorts. Besides the fact that this is a dress code violation, most people seem to have no problem with it. However, if you see guys wearing abnormally short pants or even slightly revealing clothing, it’s disgusting, bizarre, and flagrant.

But have no fear, a movement is underway and is beginning to sweep the nation—RompHims.

The RompHim is a product of the the notrious and popular platform for online projects, Kickstarter. Chicago natives and executives of ACED Design Daniel Webster Clark and Elaine Chen were the creators of these one-piece masterpieces with the goal of $10,000 as their profit, yet have already racked up over $70,000 in a mere month.

Female Rompers are a very popular and stylish piece of clothing for women. In turn, the male version of these fasionable mini jumpsuits should be looked at as such also. Style is gender neutral, and anybody should be able to wear the attire they choose if they enjoy it. If your garb passes school dress code and it’s not creating a distraction, more power to the men who are comfortable enough in their skin to wear these summer-inspired works of art.

Some see RompHims as sexist and a joke because guys need to “broify” a piece of women’s clothing to make their own trend.

According to an article about these male rompers on Huffington Post, “Women today wear pants, Oxford shoes and shirts, and menswear-inspired everything; it’s still rare to see a man in a skirt, and many even find men in shorts to be laughable. Our conception of what men can wear remains as narrow as it was 50 years ago, if not more so.”

There’s nothing sexist about men wanting to wear something designed for a female with a more male influenced style. If guys started strutting around in female rompers, it would come off as a joke and guys would never wear them. Just because men want to adapt an already popular style of clothing into something fun for themselves, it doesn’t make them all misogynistic frat boys who are obsessed with masculinity.

One might argue that the RompHim is not worth the $90 retail price, but if you have the funds, the legs, and the swagger, then there’s no reason to not buy one.