Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Trump’s proposal: economic, political disaster

CARTOON BY ALYSSA SHRADER

CARTOON BY ALYSSA SHRADER

Sara Koenig, staff reporter

Trump’s budget has been heralded as both the epiphany we needed and the pitfall of a nation, but no matter who you are, you will think there’s something wrong with it. All in all, Trump’s budget is an economic and environmental failure.

According to CNN, Trump has proposed increases in “law enforcement and infrastructure, while decreasing foreign aid, and funding for the Environmental Protection Agency.”

Right now many Americans, myself included, are questioning what this budget really means for us as a country. Currently, we are the world’s leading economy and we spend a bunch of our budget on defense. According to the National Priorities Project, a shocking 37 percent of global defense spending comes from the United States and American taxpayer dollars, yet Trump proposes that we increase that spending. The Pentagon doesn’t need the $54 billion dollar raise that it will be seeing should this budget pass.

According to Time, under Trump’s proposed budget, the IRS would see a 14 percent decrease. While many Americans detest the IRS, it is needed as a middle man for collecting taxes— giving it last place among 13 government agencies is not benefical to this nation. This loss of funds would not only cause taxpayers to have to wait longer, but it will also cause the government to lose money.

According to IRS.gov, for every $1 spent on the IRS, they generate $7 in unpaid tax money retrieved.That may not sound like much, but according to Time, the IRS has missed the chance to collect between $7 and $8 billion each year because of cuts and if that continues so will the loss of money.

According to CNN, in the early stages, there was a proposed cut in funding for the U.S. Coast Guard, despite the massive increases in defense spending. The money that should be going to them was then going to go towards President Trump’s “Great Wall of Mexico.”

The list of agencies that might lose funding under this proposal is long and potentially devastating. Some of these include the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) and the National Endowment for the Arts and Humanities—which would be defunded entirely. According to The Boston Globe, the Environmental Protection Agency would receive a $427 million cut which would destroy its ability to continue programs such as the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative.

“Public defunding of the arts is never a good thing,” junior Aaron Baker said. “The arts are how we define our culture, and without a culture what are we defending? What’s most concerning are the proposed cuts to the EPA, because we can scientifically and definitively see those impacts. Cultural cuts are a concern as well because it has negative implications about the sort of country we want to live in.”

It costs less than $2 in taxes to pay for the NEA and PBS, which manage to significantly influence the education of the public. Funding these things costs very little to the average American taxpayer, and takes up a small portion of the overall budget; however, funding the military costs $3,174.

William Becker, a representative from the National Association of Clean Air Agencies, has pointed out the risks toward public health. “Nearly seven million people each year die of pollution-related illnesses,” he said. “In addition, nearly half the population of the United States is in an area that is dangerous to their health—due to carbon emissions and other such pollution.”

Overall, President Trump’s budget is a disaster for the economy and the environment. One can only hope that his plan doesn’t see the light of day, or that several necessary changes are made to the proposed budget.