Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Stereotypes not accurate

Senior+Alfredo+Reyes+believes+the+stereotype+for+the+Mexican+race+is+that+all+people+like+tacos.+
Senior Alfredo Reyes believes the stereotype for the Mexican race is that all people like tacos.

PHOTO BY SASHA TERRY

PHOTO BY SASHA TERRY

Stereotypes have really changed the mindset of people because they believe false accusations from the media and peers. Both men and women face stereotypical gender roles every day because they learned those gender roles from past generations.

A stereotype is an idea or belief someone may have about a thing or group based upon how they look on the outside, which may not reflect a person’s character.

Stereotyping people is a type of prejudice because what is on the outside is a small part of someone’s identity.

Stereotypes should not define a person’s character. Stereotypes outline differences, making them seem bad; therefore, people make generalizations about other people that might not be true. People should get to know the person before making up stereotypes that could damage relationships and hurt others.

According to an article about gender stereotypes by writer Abigail Beall from the Daily Mail, gender roles are the same today as they were in the 1900s. These roles have been passed down throughout many generations.

“The strongest gender stereotypes for women are that they are more emotional, aware of others’ feelings, kind and warmer than men, and more likely to look after the house, and cry,” Beall said. “The strongest gender stereotypes for men were that they are more competitive, feel superior, and that they should be head of household and responsible for household repairs.”

Minority and racial stereotypes are also a huge problem in today’s society. People are so quick to judge others without confronting or having a conversation with them.
In an article about racial profiling, a contributor for the U.S. News and World Report, Jeff Nesbit wrote that racial bias has poorly shaped the United States throughout the years and how stereotypes are degrading.

“We aren’t born with prejudices about race. It isn’t something that’s encoded in our DNA. It’s based on perception. It’s something we learn over time through repetition in all forms of media, in conversations, in dialogues, in the way that we interact socially in our daily lives.”

Stereotypes are common because people are naturally born to have judgement. It’s hard to change a perception, but people can keep their perception to themselves rather than telling others how they negatively feel about it.

According to an article by the Guardian, a study was conducted on how stereotypes affect a human brain. Hugo Spiers, a neuroscientist at University College London, led the research and found that negative groups were treated more negative than before.

“. . . the brain responds more strongly to information about groups who are portrayed unfavorably, adding weight to the view that the negative depiction of ethnic or religious minorities in the media can fuel racial bias.”

Stereotypes do not accurately reflect a person’s character and people should not assume something that may be common for other people.