Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Parental pressure affects student success

Students are constantly stressed out with all the assignments they are given by teachers and parents. Pushing them to do well doesn’t really help the situation.

Bella Coronado, Staff Reporter

High school students are put under the most pressure when it comes to academics. It seems like every single thing we do has to be put towards our future college. Parents push all of us to get good grades, find a job, and still be involved in our family and social lives. When they think they are helping us by scolding us to do better in school, the stress they create can actually cause a loss of motivation, failure, and altogether disengagement.

Everyday, we go through enough social stress, between friends and relationships. By throwing school work on top of everything else, we undergo situations that seem impossible to get through. The last thing we want to hear is a comment from a parent about how we could get better grades. AP classes, SAT prep, and competition for college is a lot to balance.

When we get assignments for every class, it can be hard to switch from one subject to the next. High schoolers are expected to understand every concept, do every problem, and complete every aspect of an assignment for six classes max. Social media is also a huge distraction that students have a hard time putting down, having to keep up with the social lives of everyone else.

According to an article about Highschool stress featured in The Atlantic, “adolescence is an important time to learn to deal with stress because teens can then deal with it better in college and in their adult lives.” While stress is preparing us, too much of it can lead to anxiety and depression. Many students actually end up doing worse in school when they are stressed out.

Because it can cause anxiety, pressure ruins student’s performance on simple schoolwork and tests. The stress factor can be so great, it diminishes any chances the student feels to complete all their work.
I feel this constantly when my grades start to fall and homework keeps piling up. I obviously know I need to focus better on school work, but on top of everything else, I have a job and other commitments. Little by little, stress can consume high schoolers lives.

Everyone copes differently. Some students actually do well under pressure, and others manage to find ways to get everything done. However, some could turn to other, possibly harmful things to rid their stress. It becomes a downward spiral of failing grades and health implications.

Because of this, parents should recognize how much stress is too much. They should be encouraging us to take personal time to relax.
There should be a balance between stress and relaxation, keeping school work at a productive rate, but also knowing when it’s okay to take a break.

It is so important to take time for yourself.
When you are drowning in homework assignments, try to spend time outdoors or with friends. When things get really tough, simply stop what you’re doing, put in some headphones, and close your eyes for a little while.