Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Education vs. teachers’ lives

Freshman Espi Gonzalez displays her utter annoyance with situations such as these. Students grow to be irritated when their teacher doesn’t teach to their particular style.

Chloe Knox

Chloe Knox

Chloe Knox, staff reporter

We’ve all been in classes where the teacher talks more about their personal life than the actual subject. You feel as if questions on the test should be about the teacher themselves, rather than the content we went over for five minutes. How many kids do they have? Three. Names? Claire, Miller, and Kate. When’s their spouse’s birthday? October 17. What caused the Civil War? I don’t know, you didn’t teach me.

It’s one thing if your teacher tells you about their day the last five minutes of class, or after school when you go in to receive the work you need to make up. But if your teacher takes up half the period telling you about their cat and how they adopted it, I’d rather not hear about that. They blab and blab about their lives, and then assign an entire essay due tomorrow. How do you expect me to get this done, when I have 11 minutes left in class, and other commitments tonight? How would you even get this done, since your life is obviously so busy? Or do you actually have no life and just make up stories to waste our time? Seems just as likely.

Walking through the crowded hallways, there is nothing you want more than to get out of the river of students, and into the safe sanctuary of your classroom. However, when your teacher’s last name is “TalksAlot,” the last thing you want to do is go to their class. I’d rather drown in the hallway and get trampled than spend extra time in my next class. Believe me, you’ve told me how your brother’s wife’s son’s fish died. Four times this week. And it’s Tuesday.

I understand how it must become a little routine to teach the same content five times a day. I understand your grown-up friends may not care about your relative’s dead fish. But guess what? I DON’T EITHER. Thank you so very much for considering that I’d like to waste my time in your class, but I’d much rather you only open your mouth if math will be coming out of it. Thanks.

As I sit there hearing about your dinner for the third time, and how it gave you heartburn, I cannot possibly hold back my eye-roll anymore. So I look down at my lap and almost strain my eyes from rolling them so hard. I think I win the world record for eye-rolling every time this happens.

Now, I will admit that occasionally listening to a teacher stall is just what is needed to get some last minute notes or problems done. That, I am thankful for. Telling me about your week or how your night was is all right, once a week. Hearing you talk about this daily, however, doesn’t get you my “best teacher award,” but rather the “laziest teacher award.” Since you obviously have no motivation to teach me about the subject at hand, I’d much rather sit and stare at the ceiling than listen to this whole story again.

Let me put this into perspective. Do you think a teacher would like to hear all about their students’ lives? Or where they went out with their boyfriend or girlfriend the night before? They wouldn’t care too much, would they? It’s one thing for a few students to share their life stories with them, but when they get to hear it from all their students it gets old. So as a student, I urge those teaching to stick to teaching, and to stay away from their autobiography.

I enjoy getting to know my teachers the first few weeks of school, hearing about their kids, and how long they’ve been teaching. But after a couple weeks of you telling me the same story again, yeah, no thanks, I’m okay.