Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Key Club impacts community

Key+Club+members+are+waiting+for+the+bus+that+was+going+to+take+them+to+the+District+Convention+at+the+Oregon+Convention+Center+in+March.+
Key Club members are waiting for the bus that was going to take them to the District Convention at the Oregon Convention Center in March.

PHOTO COURTESY OF HAILEY BLUM

PHOTO COURTESY OF HAILEY BLUM

Sara Koenig, Staff Reporter

Key Club just held their latest and last event which was the Auburn Clean Sweep. This took place on April 22 at 7 a.m. This event allowed students to help clean up the trash around their community.

Their last meeting of the year will be on May 10 in the school library at 7 p.m. This meeting will be the end-of-year Key Club banquet which will honor all recipients of varsity letters for community service through the club.

Meetings are usually held right after school and usually end between 3-3:30 p.m. Key Club is well known for the opportunities they give students and the community. Students who have never been a part of the events Key Club hosts, are always invited to participate.

Key Club has run annual events such as Trick or Treat for UNICEF. They also hosted an Australian exchange student. This year Key Club also partnered with the Fashion Club to run the Homecoming and Prom fashion shows to help kids who can’t afford a regularly priced gown still feel beautiful at the dance.

“A portion of the profits were donated to Kiwanis Children’s Cancer Program (KCCP),” Key Club President and sophomore Hailey Blum said. “With both shows combined, we raised awareness and over $1,800.”

According to the KCCP website, “the goal of the KCCP is to fund three or more Fellowships at the three hospitals in our district. To achieve this goal we will hold district fundraisers, seek public donations, corporate sponsors, and receive funds from our clubs in the Pacific Northwest District.”

Key Club also has a parent organization known as Kiwanis, which is an international organization with chapters throughout colleges and cities across the country.

The Key Club motto, according to their website is: “We don’t make keys, we make a difference.”