Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Stand up to summer scams

Summer break is a great time to make money and get out out of the house, but take precautions to avoid getting scammed.

PHOTO COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE, PIXABAY.COM

Alyssa Shrader, Staff Reporter

Summertime has different meanings for teens these days. Those sunny days are the best time to hang out with friends on the beach, get started on those college applications and maybe even score a summer job. Many teenagers are looking for any chance of seizing a job, and it’s not that hard to do; job applications are almost everywhere. So what’s the tough part? Knowing which applications are the real thing, and which ones are a scam.

Teens aren’t the only ones looking for some extra cash. According to utica.edu, many common scams are used to steal personal information with and/or without the use of technology. Families have even reported receiving fake ransom calls, only to discover that their loved ones were safe after they had been tricked. Though rarely reported, concerns of kidnappings related to scams have also arisen. Still, while getting scammed is easy, avoiding them is too.

It only takes a few steps to avoid being on the receiving end of a scam. First and foremost, never give out any personal information such as credit card and/or social security numbers. Scams are sure to be after one of two things: money or identity. Most scammers will usually call an applicant via phone pretending to set up an interview before proceeding to ask for private information. Hang up and block the caller; there’s nothing rude about avoiding a scam.

The second warning sign should be any questionable information that gives off a bad vibe. If it’s part-time job that’s willing to pay full time wage and requires no experience and sounds too good to be true, that’s because it is. No one becomes a millionaire from a first job, especially a teen, and an applicant has to know how to do something in order to get a job.

The best thing to do, whether those warning bells are ringing or not, is to do a background check on the so-called employer. Google the name and/or phone number and analyze all the information that pops up. Does something not match up? Then don’t call back; one less scam to worry about.

Summertime can easily become scam time, so stay on guard. Keep all personal information personal, reread details, and do some research if something doesn’t feel right. Don’t let a summer scam ruin summer break.