Auburn Riverside Student Voice

InFlight

Auburn Avenue Theater’s Hairspray a hit

Freshman+Drew+Bates+%28left%29+and+Bellarmine+Prep+junior+Alyssa+Gries+%28right%29+twist+and+twirl+to+%E2%80%9960s+tunes.+Bates+has+been+featured+in+several+plays+and+musicals+over+the+years+including+Guys+and+Dolls%2C+A+Christmas+Story%2C+42nd+Street%2C+You%E2%80%99re+a+Good+Man%2C+and+many+more.++
Freshman Drew Bates (left) and Bellarmine Prep junior Alyssa Gries (right) twist and twirl to ’60s tunes. Bates has been featured in several plays and musicals over the years including Guys and Dolls, A Christmas Story, 42nd Street, You’re a Good Man, and many more.

PJ Sills

PJ Sills

PJ Sills, Managing Editor

1962 Baltimore has been brought to Auburn, and it’s phenomenal. The Auburn Community Players are dazzling audiences with Hairspray, the latest musical put on at the Auburn Avenue Theater. Directed by the well-experienced Chris Serface, and filled up with brilliant, astonishing performers across a wide array of ages, this show is exceptional.

Hairspray is the story of pleasant and plump Tracy Turnblad played by the professional actress Megan Hicks. Turnblad is offered a shot to be on the notorious Corny Collins Show that features popular music and dancing. She then in turn uses her newfound fame as a platform to teach everyone a thing or two about integration and racial equality. The songs include 1960s-style dance music and “downtown” rhythm and blues.

When going to see this show, expect nothing less than perfectly executed choreography, rich vocals, and much comic relief throughout the performance. The actors and actresses featured are absolutely breathtaking and make the show tremendously entertaining to watch.

Several talented Riverside students are under the spotlight in Hairspray, including: freshmen Drew Bates (Brad) and Maya Martin (Lorraine); sophomores McKenna Webb (Amber Von Tussle) and Elizabeth Harvey (Thaedra); along with juniors Jessica Rumrill (Brenda) and Joseph Fontes (Duane).

From the wide range in voices and enthusiasm in dramatics, these young thespians’ hard work for several months has obviously paid off. One part about this interpretation that is especially delightful is the relationship between actors Frank Kohel (Edna Turnblad) and Micheal O’Hara (Wilbur Turnblad). It’s as if every time one of these gentlemen open their mouths you can’t help but chuckle.

There’s still a chance to see this success, with three performances left, two of which are on June 16 and 17, both at 7:00 p.m., and the final performance will take place on June 18, at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are only $14.45 for students and seniors, and $16.52 for general admission. To order tickets you can visit the Auburn Avenue Theater’s website www.auburnwa.gov. Click on “Things to Do”, “Arts and Entertainment”, and look for the Auburn Avenue Theater link. Log on and experience this marvelous production for yourself.